Electronics recommendations?

A useful feature of the MFDs is you can overlay data onto most screens. You can have a virtual dashboard with all the engine info like speed, rpm, voltage, fuel burn, temp, etc displayed to look like analog gauges, but that takes up the screen. Split screens on anything below 10-12" size leaves both screens too small to be useful, hence the second screen networking capability. Two 7" displays usually cost less than a single 12" from the same product series...

But the data overlay option can help a lot. I have engine data showing full time on my GPS screen, so when I'm cruising I can see engine temp, voltage, water pressure, fuel economy and the depth under my keel at a glance. When I stop to fish, and switch to a sonar screen, this time the overlay data is water temp, battery voltage and speed over ground. I find most of the time I don't need to use split screens.

I got along OK for 5 years with a single HDS 7, just bought a second hand HDS 10 to help out the old eyes. Might move the 7 aft and network them to share transducer.
Great advice thanks!

I added to other thread however I am looking at going with the lowrance 9 FS as well with halo radar and p66 transducer. Going to see what kind of deals I can work up at the virtual boat show if not I have a good quote already
Keep me posted if you find a lead on a decent price on the FS 9. I see it on sale at the Harbour Chandlery with the 3in1 transducer but haven't shopped around much on pricing

if your going with the newer MFD's then check out the Airmar TM165c there same size as P66 but a 600w high wide chirp
and paint a picture as good as the 175-HW check out simrads mike smedley on youtube ...

Yes, I saw the TM165c, looks great. The more I look, the more I convince myself that I need the model up. I've gone from thinking I can get something great for under $1k to feeling that it might take closer to $2.5K for the right setup - how did that happen?! I'd rather buy the right combo from the get-go but it's getting spendy and I haven't even dipped into the fishing rods/reels department yet! sigh.

Yes, I saw the TM165c, looks great. The more I look, the more I convince myself that I need the model up. I've gone from thinking I can get something great for under $1k to feeling that it might take closer to $2.5K for the right setup - how did that happen?! I'd rather buy the right combo from the get-go but it's getting spendy and I haven't even dipped into the fishing rods/reels department yet! sigh.
What are your primary requirements for a sonar? Write them down and don’t try to futureproof your technology. You can ever never do that with electronics so better save some money for your other essentials.

What are your primary requirements for a sonar? Write them down and don’t try to futureproof your technology. You can ever never do that with electronics so better save some money for your other essentials.
It's a good point. Right now I'm coming from a 16' Duraboat with a Lowrance depth sounder/ fish finder from 2003 and Navionics on my phone so everything is a major upgrade. I want good charting functionality, it would be nice to have the capability of patching in engine data, and I certainly would be fine with a lower grade sonar. I plan to spend more time fishing but I probably don't need the newest technology, I imagine the p66 would be sufficient. For visibility I'd like a decent sized screen that I could use on split screen

Info on how they work & how to use them:

f your going with the newer MFD's then check out the Airmar TM165c there same size as P66 but a 600w high wide chirp
and paint a picture as good as the 175-HW check out simrads mike smedley on youtube ...
The video referenced shows the B175 HW beating the crap outta the P66, but realize that it $1K US more costly. The TM 165 HW is close enough in price to the P66 & SHOULD yield very similar results to the B 175 HW - P66 video comparison BUT - the TM 175 HW weighs 4 times what the TM 165 HW does & likely has a greater number of more sophisticated elements. I am not a transducer expert so I do not know the implications of these differences.

I have the 1000W version of the 165HW but might of got the 165HW if there were out then.

It's a good point. Right now I'm coming from a 16' Duraboat with a Lowrance depth sounder/ fish finder from 2003 and Navionics on my phone so everything is a major upgrade. I want good charting functionality, it would be nice to have the capability of patching in engine data, and I certainly would be fine with a lower grade sonar. I plan to spend more time fishing but I probably don't need the newest technology, I imagine the p66 would be sufficient. For visibility I'd like a decent sized screen that I could use on split screen
jump on the TM165
and buy a good used 9"MFD and then another used 7"or 9" when funds allow which then can be networked in ....
almost all of my electronics i have bought from a friend whos always got the latest stuff ... my SS-175 High wide i did buy new and dropping $1.5 K on one transducer is hard if your on a low budget income.
and Garmin and Lowrance are the main ones used simrad raymarine and furono are all nowadays ford GMC dodge debate..... its what you like

jump on the TM165
and buy a good used 9"MFD and then another used 7"or 9" when funds allow which then can be networked in ....
almost all of my electronics i have bought from a friend whos always got the latest stuff ... my SS-175 High wide i did buy new and dropping $1.5 K on one transducer is hard if your on a low budget income.
and Garmin and Lowrance are the main ones used simrad raymarine and furono are all nowadays ford GMC dodge debate..... its what you like
Is this the 165? There seems to be some extra characters in the unit.

Is this the 165? There seems to be some extra characters in the unit.
This is a TM165 HW from Airmar with a generic connector & it may require an adaptor called a "mix-and-match" cable to adapt this transducer to whatever mfgr of head unit you have. It is a very new transducer & airmar's page on this product hints at compatibility issues.

This is a TM165 HW from Airmar with a generic connector & it may require an adaptor called a "mix-and-match" cable to adapt this transducer to whatever mfgr of head unit you have. It is a very new transducer & airmar's page on this product hints at compatibility issues.
Compatibility problems in what respect? I’m looking to hook into a new Garmin

jump on the TM165
Hey how do you like that ss175 ? I ordered a TM185HW so just wanting to know what you think/recommend. Will be running a nss12 evo3S

Back