Electric Brakes

TGofers

May long weekend is target date for Launch and super confused by the poor guy I hounded at the parts department today. I have installed my electric brakes and am ready to wire. So I have A TANDAM TRAILER with brakes on all 4 tires. 2 wires come out of each brake system, 1 is grounded and 1 will be the power. I purchased an electrical box that acts as a sort of protection from truck to trailer so that you don't have to re wire in all wires.... least that is what the sales guy told me. Might have got sold but oh well sounded good at the time. My question is this. Do I hook up all the power wires together or run them up seperalty to the blue connection on the box./adaptor? I envision it like this. connect back two tire brake systems together and the front two together and then running one wired up the middle through both connections to the blue on box/adapator. Sound right or?

Your on the right track.....wire back axel first then front...(if you have a problem down the road at least trailer won't sway from sideways wire issue)...make sure you have a really good ground(trailer and truck)
Be careful on your controller in the truck as they can be very sensitive...as long as you have your controller hooked up right you should have no problems....just make sure it's level and watch your gain.
I probly missed something...but I went thru this last year with a bad controller and grounds

two wires come out of brake magnet, usually blue and black. Use the black as a ground to the trailers frame. make sure it is a good ground. Do each one individually to ground, so if ground goes bad only one brake is affected (hopefully). You can tie all the blue ones together using good waterproof connections and end up just one wire going up to the connector. The box you are referring to justs sounds like a junction block, that has wires to the trailer connections on one side and wires to the trailer plug on the other. Thats ok if you can keep it dry inside. It's also easier to repair if you damage the wires to the trailer plug ( no splicing necessary, just replace the wires to the box). But like anything around salt water, the more connections the more potential for corrosion and its consequences.

Good call gungadin...I knew , I forgot something....grounds are so important especially with electrics....UNPLUG BEFORE UNLOAD AND LOAD ?
Sounds lame but new truck electronics are very sensitive to say the least...better safe than sorry?

Back