Downrigger newbie question

Do they make port and starboard side downriggers? I would like both spools facing the stern of the boat, because the wire on the port side DR crosses over the boom, and in some cases, actually touches
the boom. Am I being too anal about this? does it matter? I worry
about vibrations from the boat transmitting down the line. These are
the latest 60" boom versions, with the covered pulleys, and the large
diameter booms.

I have never had the wire cross over the boom except by mistake. You should have a wire guide part way up the boom that is angled slightly downward and the wire passes through it and under the boom.
Never have worried about port and starboard as I keep my scottys in the garage if using the boat on the lake and remount them when heading out.

Howdy,

No they don't and most downrigger's out there - including Scotty's - leave much to be desired in terms of how much engineering you get for the buck. Don't worry about how the line piles on the drum until you get problems with kink's. If not, you're away to the races. The trick is, never let the line go slack.

Cheers,
Terry

Thanks for the help. Just to clarify, the line on the port DR is
crossing "under" the boom, but with the currents in Sooke and a 3MPH
trolling speed, often the line will touch the underside of the boom.
I am using 12# weights. Perhaps if I change the position of the line
guide on the boom it will prevent the line from touching the boom. Anyways thanks again for the responses, great site here! Highly addictive.

The line guide middle of the boom needs to be turned up or down should fix you up

Cheers

Back