Do sockeyes really bite in fresh water?

in the lakes they do bite. it's all flossing "cough" snagging "cough" in the river.
i've caught them on little tom macs when fishing for trout in sproat lake.

yes they do!

they hammer blades and other small spinners like panther martins, plugs, glo's in the flow, and they hit flatfish, kwikfish, spoons and spinners in the still waters...

Yes they do. Float fishing jensen eggs, Or fly fishing egg/shrimp patterns(Thompson addams run)

yes,lake washington has a sock fisheries use a dodger and small pink squirt.most people will limit

Sockeye Salmon can be great biters in freshwater.
I use specific jigs of my own design that take thousands of Sockeye every season. We float fish in clear water tribs of the Fraser, anchored in slow moving water where Sockeye stack up.
The key is to float your jig above the Sockeye and be aware that the bite can be so extremely light that often your float will only lift or slow, set fast and quick and it's game on.
I'm certain this technique will work on Island streams where Sockeye stack and you can present float presentation properly.
If you have masses of anglers there ripping on the Sox, forget it, they go off the bite quickly in that scenario.

http://www.bentrods.ca/bcfishingarticles.htm

gonna try that this year on the thompson for the addams sockeye.

Yes they do bite in fesh water,In the harrison river we used to use krill under a float,and no we were not flossing them,They would absolutely hammer it.

If its true that socks bite in the river then D.F.O. should ban flossing.

...on the SSS [VI] - Flossing can be accomplished using a 12 to 18" leader. The issue is far more complicated than what is viewed on the surface. To ban flossing, would also intail banning flyfishing with a swung or drifted wet fly. It could also impeed an angler's gear choice, such as corkies, glo's, worms and other small drifted gear.[of which all mentioned can floss fish]

Flossing is not sporting, but in the same breath, it is damn near impossible to prove a lip hooked fish did not strike the anglers presentation.

Besides that sockeye fishing is a meat harvest.
Banning long leaders for us angling harvesters would be the same as banning nets for the commecial harvesters.

Sure do we were using small attractors in Alaska . It was all sight fishing had to flip it in front of their nose constantly about a cast every 5-7 seconds.Very soft and quick bite if you didnt see them grab it would be very hard to detect.

ever gut hooked a sockeye bottom bouncing? i gut hooked one float fishing the fraser with ghost shrimp. And now i'm converted, i might not get a million fish but i get my 2 fish limit. And u hook the odd spring if they come in close.

Back