DFO Update on Fraser Chinook Tuesday 11:30 am

Boy the very politically connected Tyee Club in Campbell River did just fine, they start rowing the day it’s open for Chinook in the Tyee Pool. I didn’t think I’d see that slaughter go by the wayside . This whole thing wreaks of Politics and ********

I realize everyone is hurt and venting today, but I think you are off base on this one. It is not a slaughter, they actually take very few fish and I would suggest is one of the least negatively impactful fisheries in the province. It is also a terminal fishery near the river that is not in the same trouble that the Fraser is and has a rather short window when the fish are actually at the mouth of the river. They are non feeding fish that take some finesse to catch.
I have fished it so far about 15 times and to date have taken no salmon.

However, if you think that they are getting a deal that is just so unfair, you could always argue that the rest of the province should get that same sweet deal. Of course that would mean, getting rid of your downriggers, fish finders, weights over 6 oz, single hooks only, no trebles, no attractors/flasher, no bait, 20lb max test line, no boats over the size of a small row boat, rowing only/no jigging, single action reel and of course, no motors. If you want to go to that, my guess is that DFO may well support that for much of the province. I don't think it would work for me in Sooke.

Last edited:
Any time I see a set of scenarios put forth that involve DFO, I always base my plans around the worse case scenario. Can't get bit in the butt that way. Will I continue to buy my license? of course. Will I fish by these rules? Absolutely. Do I agree with the new regs? Partially, but I feel there is far too much impact on the coastal businesses that provide jobs, provide individual family incomes and lodging that is all based around our salmon fishery. I also feel it will add considerable pressure to certain stocks as the inland waters of WCVI will see a lot more fishing pressure. I am not as concerned with the reduction from 30 to 10 chinook.
Now I am not sure whether or not, under these new regulations, if the closures around the Sooke area will be relaxed to conform to the rest of the retention fishery, but somehow, I don't see that happening. What they take away, they are reluctant to give back. Past history has shown us that. But if this truly has a positive impact on the Fraser returns, then it would be worth it. More needs to be done however, and pinnipeds somehow need to be addressed, as well as the Salish Sea herring fishery. I would rather see the herring fishery moved around to different areas rather than the main focus always been in the Salish Sea, primarily from French Creek and north to Baynes Sound.
I've booked three different trips to Bamfield this year, one trip focusses mainly on halibut and other bottom fish, one trip will include sockeye fishing up the Alberni Inlet and my late August trip is chinook and coho. I feel it is important for us to still support the communities that will be most affected and continue to fish in our favorite spots. We all have to adapt our habits to keep these communities going.

Absolutely Cowichan is the prime example above escapement for 4 years and people still think we need it closed.

Cowichan is not a great example, actually. Did you see the numbers of jacks that are included in those escapement numbers? It's not a prime example of healthy salmon populations when half of your returning fish are jacks.

Cowichan is not a great example, actually. Did you see the numbers of jacks that are included in those escapement numbers? It's not a prime example of healthy salmon populations when half of your returning fish are jacks.

age 3 fish returning is the norm these days, if were going by hoping for then 4 years then we might as well shut down the whole coast.

For most enhanced fisheries CWT are showing most caught or return to hatcheries are 3 year olds. Some Jimmy 2 years olds now are getting more common back

IS cutting fishing somehow going to make these fish return at age 4? did my downrigger scare them into spawning earlier?

Last edited:
I realize everyone is hurt and venting today, but I think you are off base on this one. It is not a slaughter, they actually take very few fish and I would suggest is one of the least negatively impactful fisheries in the province. It is also a terminal fishery near the river that is not in the same trouble that the Fraser is and has a rather short window when the fish are actually at the mouth of the river. They are non feeding fish that take some finesse to catch.
I have fished it so far about 15 times and to date have taken no salmon.

However, if you think that they are getting a deal that is just so unfair, you could always argue that the rest of the province should get that same sweet deal. Of course that would mean, getting rid of your downriggers, fish finders, weights over 6 oz, single hooks only, no trebles, no attractors/flasher, no bait, 20lb max test line, no boats over the size of a small row boat, rowing only/no jigging, single action reel and of course, no motors. If you want to go to that, my guess is that DFO may well support that for much of the province. I don't think it would work for me in Sooke.
Well I have fished in Campbell River for 25+ years. I don’t fish with downriggers any longer and can honestly say I have never fished the city front. I don’t fish with bait and have never taken a salmon in freshwater, ever. Respectfully the Tyee Club may only take anywhere from 10-15 tyees in lean years to 75+ in good ones. Care to comment on your undersize take every year. Undersize being any fish less than 30lbs. I know what the numbers are the last few years, they aren’t insignificant. They also aren’t reported publicly and should be. I have never been a fan of where the club rows. I do support your right to fish certainly. I wish it was further from the river mouth. I can only imagine the local FN Band is no fan either and this fishery serves as a political fight brewing that’s not necessary. I would support a C&R , measure and photograph fishery but respectfully I am not a fan of the location. I support the fishery but wish it was further away. This tradition started 100+ years ago, these are not those times. Taking a few hundred fish just prior to them entering the river seems out of step. Especially when the clubs claim that it’s sort of harmless because there’s no motors no bait no downriggers is misleading. None of those things are necessary where you fish. It’s an aquarium the fish are everywhere around you when they’re in. That’s why you’re there fishing at that time, it’s the height if the local returns. I won’t complain any further, I’m an angler like everyone and I want everyone to be able to enjoy their time on the water. The club has skirted the hardships the rest of the Province is forced to bare. I hope ut considers some changes in the future, like photos and letting tyee go. Cheers all

Well I have fished in Campbell River for 25+ years. I don’t fish with downriggers any longer and can honestly say I have never fished the city front. I don’t fish with bait and have never taken a salmon in freshwater, ever. Respectfully the Tyee Club may only take anywhere from 10-15 tyees in lean years to 75+ in good ones. Care to comment on your undersize take every year. Undersize being any fish less than 30lbs. I know what the numbers are the last few years, they aren’t insignificant. They also aren’t reported publicly and should be. I have never been a fan of where the club rows. I do support your right to fish certainly. I wish it was further from the river mouth. I can only imagine the local FN Band is no fan either and this fishery serves as a political fight brewing that’s not necessary. I would support a C&R , measure and photograph fishery but respectfully I am not a fan of the location. I support the fishery but wish it was further away. This tradition started 100+ years ago, these are not those times. Taking a few hundred fish just prior to them entering the river seems out of step. Especially when the clubs claim that it’s sort of harmless because there’s no motors no bait no downriggers is misleading. None of those things are necessary where you fish. It’s an aquarium the fish are everywhere around you when they’re in. That’s why you’re there fishing at that time, it’s the height if the local returns. I won’t complain any further, I’m an angler like everyone and I want everyone to be able to enjoy their time on the water. The club has skirted the hardships the rest of the Province is forced to bare. I hope ut considers some changes in the future, like photos and letting tyee go. Cheers all

This is easily the biggest load of codswallop i have ever read on this forum. Absolute tripe. I am not a tyee club member nor will i ever be, but the club has rowed in the same spot for over 100 years. When there were lots and lots of big fish rolling through the pool, they went out and deliberately made it harder to catch fish by setting all their rules. is not the money the members have raised, as well as being instrumental in the restoration of the burning garbage fire that the CR estuary was left in thanks to mass industry not enough? They do record their tyees. Most of the rowers turn loose fish under 30, although many are also harvested. Your statement about “ intercepting fish just as they’re about to spawn “ is not wrong; but the campbell is small potatoes; it just doesn’t have massive returns in comparison to the returns to the thousands and thousands facing the sacred ceremonial nets of the Fraser. You’re trolling....right?

It is time for a "I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore sail in".
Easter weekend is coming up, time for an anchor/sail in at every damn BC ferry dock in the province and the downtown harbours of Vancouver and Victoria.
It is going to take something drastic to wake the general population/DFO up and clearly trying to work with them is not the answer.

Any time I see a set of scenarios put forth that involve DFO, I always base my plans around the worse case scenario. Can't get bit in the butt that way. Will I continue to buy my license? of course. Will I fish by these rules? Absolutely. Do I agree with the new regs? Partially, but I feel there is far too much impact on the coastal businesses that provide jobs, provide individual family incomes and lodging that is all based around our salmon fishery. I also feel it will add considerable pressure to certain stocks as the inland waters of WCVI will see a lot more fishing pressure. I am not as concerned with the reduction from 30 to 10 chinook.
Now I am not sure whether or not, under these new regulations, if the closures around the Sooke area will be relaxed to conform to the rest of the retention fishery, but somehow, I don't see that happening. What they take away, they are reluctant to give back. Past history has shown us that. But if this truly has a positive impact on the Fraser returns, then it would be worth it. More needs to be done however, and pinnipeds somehow need to be addressed, as well as the Salish Sea herring fishery. I would rather see the herring fishery moved around to different areas rather than the main focus always been in the Salish Sea, primarily from French Creek and north to Baynes Sound.
I've booked three different trips to Bamfield this year, one trip focusses mainly on halibut and other bottom fish, one trip will include sockeye fishing up the Alberni Inlet and my late August trip is chinook and coho. I feel it is important for us to still support the communities that will be most affected and continue to fish in our favorite spots. We all have to adapt our habits to keep these communities going.
The commercial fleet would like to move back into other areas as well as having some opportunity in the gulf but under reconciliation and government to government discussions FN has blocked the other 3 areas. There were large biomasses and spawns in All areas of the coast this year. I spent 3 weeks out in the gulf with my face in a sonar and sounder and as much as some in this group dislike commercial fisheries and would like to blame the herring fishery, the reality is there are lots of herring on the Pacific coast. The gulf had another large spawn last week south of Qualicum.

Question . After it opens in July What is the rational behind keeping the inside at 1 vrs the 2 on west?

Also is the no fin fishing bs that hit the South Island for srkw last year in affect again this year?

Yup that is yet to be announced... Get ready for yet another set of options with one being worse than the other, not based on sound science but driven by BS political influence!

Last edited:
Back