Desolation Sound Area Report

S

SIR

Been out salmon fishing three times in the last two weeks and put 11 smaller (7-9 lb) winter Springs in the boat.

Fishing channels between the islands at slack. Catching them within 10ft of bottom in 180-210ft of water. Using combination of 1)tiger prawn glow hootchies with 24" tail behind spay painted black flashers and 2) coyote wonderbread spoon with 48" tail behind black flashers. Troll speed 2.8-3.5 kph actual. All fish caught trolling INTO the current.

Fish coming up full of 3-4" herring - not sure why the hootchies are working but I'm not going to complain.

Meurlets are back, pairing up and actively feeding which is making finding bait easier. Seals, seals and more seals everywhere, may have to buy a louder radio :)

Prawning is excellent, a few humpback shrimp showing up in the nets so they must be coming in shallow to spawn. Lot's of squat lobsters in the mix in certain areas up to 20% of the catch. Solution..... don't prawn in that spot anymore :)

Crabbing by Savary Island has been GREAT this winter as no commercial boats in sight this year.

That's it from my neck of the woods other than that we are getting LOT'S or practive using GPS in the fog and I'd feel a lot better if I could afford radar....

Regards,
Ian

Sevilla Island Resort

Back