Decision Day?

I dont't understand this part as dfo issues the quotas every year to the licnese holder.

They know the Licence holders -Just not the numbered company that own them-They're may even be Non Canadian ownership of this Canada TAC :(

Do you have to have a license to own quota?

Could Mr. Moneybags offer to buy quota and then those wishing to sell proceed to transfer the quota. Where is this market setup?

[FONT=&quot]GLG[/FONT]

Profisher as far as i know it would cost about 50 dollars per pound to buy and 5.50 to lease.They dont want us to buy it just keep paying them every year to lease it.

$6.00 a pound & after yesterday DFO statement -pretty sure the price is climbing-wait tell you try to buy it inseason-how high will it go? Stock market

yes you need to own a L or FL to permanently hold quota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers All,

I called my MP today, then Minister Shea and Prime Minister Harper. I was not at all surprised that the staff was very concerned about the amount of calls they are getting. I am going to continue to call and have set up meetings with both Mr. Lunney and Mrs. Crowder. I have also informed Mr. Lunney that I will be parking my boat and truck iin front of his office as soon as the election is called and I will be supporting whoever shows some reason in this process.

I do know that the last 3 Fisheries Ministers have been from back east so that, when the next election comes, Mr. Harper will be loath to keep such a person in office who has provided such negative reaction. I am sure that if we keep up the action we will be victorious and I, for one, am not about to give up. In fact...I have only now begun to get involved as now I am pissed.

Oh...and have a great day! ;)

yes you need to own a L or FL to permanently hold quota.

Thanks fish4all for the information.
Next question is do you have to own a boat and have it commercial registered (c number) if you want to get an L commercial fishing license?

[FONT=&quot]GLG[/FONT]

Hali, I know that is why I'm not advocating doing that. Pay the $50 a pound and buy it as the money is available and retire it. (don't lease it back to them) In other words shrink their 88% until they say uncle and talk to us and DFO and agree to an arrangement more to our liking.

Hali, I know that is why I'm not advocating doing that. Pay the $50 a pound and buy it as the money is available and retire it. (don't lease it back to them) In other words shrink their 88% until they say uncle and talk to us and DFO and agree to an arrangement more to our liking.

An admirable thought, but impractical. First, no flipper skipper in their right mind would sell to a sportie unless they got well over market value...which actually works against the commercial guys fishing the quota. The price war will kill the 135 or so guys actually fishing commercially. This is a no win situation for the poor buggers who are fishing those licenses.

And this decision will kill the recreational sport fishery by creating yet another form of private ownership of a common property resource. If I was to be entirely selfish I would just quietly buy halibut quota so I could have my own piece of the public owned fishery forever - its a better investment than stocks! However as Nog suggests, buying in will create the beginning for the end for public recreational fishing - don't bite...it's a barbed hook!

Just got email from sport fishing institute of BC and they seem to believe the season will be similar to that of 2010...extending into the fall...thoughts?

I have just read all the posts
Shea/ Duncan/Harper...doing the turtle... and I am tired of that and really pissed too!
I will be phoning ALL their offices tomorrow!
Access to a public resource is our right living in this country..what is next ?? privatization of mushrooms in the forest and clams on the beach?
Given to a few priveledged that support their campaign?
I know there has been a buy back of commercial Lobster lic. on the east coast...paid for by the govt..I also know that UNLESS YOU ARE A commi on the east coast you cannot fish lobster.. I DREAD to think that that is where we are going with hali, but the writing is on the wall unless we put the pressure on.

Total sport catch in 2010 near enough 1,200,000 lbs (Feb 1 - Oct 18 at one per day)

Rough approx calculation for 2011 is 7,650,000 lbs x 12% = 918,000 lbs (Mar 1 - ???? at one per day)

?

I have just read all the posts
Shea/ Duncan/Harper...doing the turtle... and I am tired of that and really pissed too!
I will be phoning ALL their offices tomorrow!
Access to a public resource is our right living in this country..what is next ?? privatization of mushrooms in the forest and clams on the beach?
Given to a few priveledged that support their campaign?
I know there has been a buy back of commercial Lobster lic. on the east coast...paid for by the govt..I also know that UNLESS YOU ARE A commi on the east coast you cannot fish lobster.. I DREAD to think that that is where we are going with hali QUOTE]

Yes Carolyn all of the above.

Thanks fish4all for the information.
Next question is do you have to own a boat and have it commercial registered (c number) if you want to get an L commercial fishing license?

[FONT=&quot]GLG[/FONT]

Not exactly sure what a 'C' gets you but I believe you need a cfv to put a tab on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back