David Korsch's Latest Report..

fishin_magician

Time to go fishing!!!!!!!!

:D

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: March 22nd/2007.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

As we wind down the last couple weeks of the winter Chinook fishery, a couple of interesting developments have occurred. The Gulf Island fishery has been very active, and this bodes very well for Chinook fishing later this year, and those large Chinook have turned up at Hole in the Wall again this year. Last year we saw a significant number of Chinook averaging in the high teens show up in this location, and it looks as if they are back again this year, as there have been some nice catches of Chinook (ranging up into the mid-30s) so far in March.

On March 14th I went out to do some final propeller testing for the new engines. We headed up to Defense Islands to start the morning since it had been so good up there in late February/early March. Unfortunately, the slowing of the action that had occurred over the past week or so was continuing, so we didn't find too much action (only one undersize and little bait). We came back down to Hole in the Wall mid-morning to checkout those rumours of some large fish, and right at the high slack tide we hit an absolutely beautiful 26.5 lb Chinook. We called it quits after landing this large fish. I was out a couple days later and we had a total of 10 hits! While we only landed one legal fish of about 11 lbs, and most of the action was from 18 to 20 inch fish, we did have a couple other decent fish on that never made it to the boat. Other anglers have been having some great success, as there have been catches of 2 or 3 nice fish some days. Not too shabby for a 2 minute run out of the marina!!! Anchovies (#500 or army truck teasers) and Gypsy spoons (or 3.5" Coyotes)....army truck, punk skunk, paddy wagon colour schemes....trolled between 70 and 105' is your best bet at this time.

These fish are likely destined for the Squamish system, as we have now seem similar fish for the past few years between Horseshoe Bay and Porteau Cove during the spring months. After leaving the Horseshoe Bay area they will likely head further up Howe Sound to the Porteau cove area where we found good number of 15 to 35 lb fish in early May a couple years ago.

On calm days, a trip over to the Gulf Islands may be an idea. Action has been pretty brisk at times with some anglers having days where they have managed to boat double digit numbers of Chinook. While the majority of these fish are just an inch or so shy of legal size, they are fat scrappy fish, and there are enough legal sized fish in the 8 to 15 lb range to make the longer trip worth the effort.

I still plan to pull the boat out of the water around the end of the month to do a bit of maintenance/painting, but it should only be out for a week or so. The exact timing of this will depend on how bookings go in the next week or so (and the fishing at Hole in the Wall!!!), but I'll likely not be available for charters during the first week of April....though I'd like to be back in the water for the Easter weekend. At this time we should be finding good fishing out off the South side of Bowen Island.

I am presently available for charter most days, though I am presently not available on Saturday March 24th, Monday March 26, and on Friday April 6th.

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

In front of the Ferry Terminal if you get too close the wharfinger jets out and yells at you.[:p]

A buddy of mine picked up a 33# white last there last week.

I've encountered big fish at this time of year too...and they're not just in Howe Sound.

You'd be surprised!!!!

:D

"Hole in the Wall" as Dogbreath said, is just outside of and north of the ferry terminal, on the east shore.
The "Hole" itself is now probably overgrown and invisible, but about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile out of the bay.
Was a classic place to mooch for salmon using live herring purchased fresh on your way out from Sewell's (do they still sell live herring?).
12-14 or 16 foot boats ruled in the old days and it was accessible, good, fishing.

Our boat rule used to be no beer until the sun came over the mountain, and given that you were fishing within 100 yards of the cliff slope, somedays that wouldn't be until almost 9:00 am!
Brings a nostalgic tear to the eye to think of the time and beer I pissed away there.

Back