Critique My Suzuki Mounts

An easy way to check height is have someone hold a straight edge on your hull in line with cavitation plate. Cavitation plate should be 1” above for every foot back.
That’s a great start but running it and looking at cavitation plates and seeing if buried will help. I have had boats with 32” step bracket be 3” above hull and have had one 5” above hull

Do you have any porpoising? That is also a sign of incorrect engine height

The manual jack plates are all aluminum and weigh very little it’s not as convenient as having the adjustment of hydraulic unit at your finger tips but you can still make the adjustments and then lock them in place it just means a little bit of setup time.

No porpoising. Boat is steady as a rock in all water conditions. If legs can come up, I'm guessing it's a very small amount. I know there are compromises--lifting too high and having props lose grip on turns is low on my list

It's not far off, if it is too low. How does it look if you look down at the cav plates while on plane?

Screenshot_20231216_170556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks like you can go up. Hold a straight edge on your hull and the cavitation plate should be 3” above the the straight edge following hull. (Inline with motor)

Once she's back in the water I'll get someone to drive while I stand in the stern and check the cavitation plate

I just took out 250 lbs of lead acid house batteries---that should help a bit with holeshot

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1678.jpeg

Make sure when doing this type of trial that the trim tabs and the engine trim is adjusted as to how the boat likes it.

PDR brackets are usually right around 36" of setback. So figure bare minimum the vent plates should be 3" above the projected bottom of the hull directly in front of the skeg. 95% of boats with stepped brackets have motors mounted too low. Yours looks to be the same. Likely you can move 2 holes up and be safe.

Any updates? Best way to tell is take it for a ride and have someone look at cavitation plates to see if they are buried or not. With my twins I am mounted in the 3rd hole. The motors need to be dropped atleast one hole

Back