Creating a website

Charter Tofino

Looking to create a cheap, simple website in the near future and wondered if anyone on the site has some recommendations on where to look. Would prefer to create/edit myself. I found this full package deal at http://www.totalsnap.ca/. This is almost exactly what I'm looking for but perhaps something with a bit more complexity. Cheers.

Looking to create a cheap, simple website in the near future and wondered if anyone on the site has some recommendations on where to look. Would prefer to create/edit myself. I found this full package deal at http://www.totalsnap.ca/. This is almost exactly what I'm looking for but perhaps something with a bit more complexity. Cheers.

Contact RVP under what ever name he is now lol. He has experience with multiple sites.

look into wordpress, if you can use facebook you can use wordpress. Lots of plugings and templates that don't require any coding to get you started.

Wordpress or Joomla. I used to know nothing, but my good fishing buddy got me started on Joomla. There's a small learning curve, but you can learn as you go. As Poppa Swiss says, if you go with an open source content management system, then there are lots of templates and components that you can add to your site very easily. And you can instantly change the look of your entire site by changing the template.

Whichever method you choose, my advice if you're starting out is to find a template that you are happy with as is. Because it's the customizing that takes a bit a time to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google 'Weebly' - free for a basic site, easy to use and visually appealing.

Try out Weebly Kelly. I set up 6 websites in a few hours. It is all cut and paste stuff and once you get moving you can do a entire site in a hour. Here are a few of my sites that are on there. Some of the pages are a little hokey ,but you need to have a landing page for a .ca URL or you will get it taken away from you. I just got www.DiscoveryIsland.ca yesterday and will be building a site with a new business venture. If you need a hand drop me a PM.

beemer

www.reelfishing.ca

www.searescue.ca

www.marineassistance.ca

www.c-towVictoria.ca

It's interesting how the business website landscape is changing. I'm noticing a fair number of small businesses now don't even have a website, they simply use a facebook business account ... skip the middleman, go direct to social media. But if developing a basic website, unless you're going with something substantial on the web, like an eCommerce type site, you really can get away with one of these free template services. They produce a site that's "good enough" to get your name and info out there. The negative is that you have to work within whatever their template may be ... whereas on a custom site you can pretty much do whatever you want, if you're willing to throw in the time and $$ at the problem. These limitations can sometimes be frustrating.

That totalsnap site looks like to be a pretty intensive website creation ... probably more than you need, unless you want an eCommerce site. You can do it a lot cheaper if just want something simple.

My wife is a teacher and uses a template service to do her class website -- will post link when she gets home. It's easy to use, free if you want their domain name first, a small fee if you want your own domain name.

I was on wordpress.com last week, playing around with creating a new blog. Similarly, the blog is free is want to have it be wordpress.com/yourblog But they have an add at the top of the site that says "have yourblog.com as your domain name for $17.95 per year". That would be a simple way to create a new site, and especially good if ongoing communication is your goal .... which is the most important thing you can do for site search placement.

+1 for wordpress, excellent user interface and lots of templates to choose from. It is really easy to use also if you use dreamhost for hosting they have a one click installation of wordpress so you will have a site up in no time. Wordpress also ranks well with google and there are many SEO modules.

+1 for wordpress, excellent user interface and lots of templates to choose from. It is really easy to use also if you use dreamhost for hosting they have a one click installation of wordpress so you will have a site up in no time. Wordpress also ranks well with google and there are many SEO modules.

Yup, you'd be suprised how many websites are built on wordpress. Yes its originally a blogging platform but with all the available plugins you do everything from a blog to a fully functional e-com site with 1000's of products. Even if you have to get someone to set it up for you, the beauty is you edit every element and page just as easy as posting on this forum.

Put your results on there. 5 more medals and a CIS team title are worth bragging about.

Thanks for the help guys it looks like word press is the way to go. Don't mind a bit of a learning curve and theres a ton of info on the net. Ill post the site up when its done as it will be fishing related.

Haha Tubber how'd ya hear about that.

Thanks for the help guys it looks like word press is the way to go. Don't mind a bit of a learning curve and theres a ton of info on the net. Ill post the site up when its done as it will be fishing related.

Haha Tubber how'd ya hear about that.

Hey Kelly,

Here is my wordpress site, easy to use. -http://islandbagpipe.com/csi/

I found the template at themeforest.net

Any questions I would be happy to help

Cheers

BL

The thing with wordpress is, is that it is essentially just blogging software, but it can he heavily modified and does come with a good administration panel to control the most important aspects of it. Doesn't requite much, mainly webspace with PHP5 support (virtually all do this) and a MySQL database.

Back