crayfishing

F

fishwise

hey, guys new to the forum, and wants to know where I can catch some crayfish.

i got my liscense and trap. :D

thanks.

kevin

try lake cowichan, drop your trap.... i dont know 20 + feet down, or beside logs or big rocks and leave it for 6 hours? i just leave mine over night when i camp and get a couple each time

this may be the dumbest question ever posed on this forum...

what do you do with crayfish?

what do u use for bait for cray fishing!??????????????????

thank. viking[8D]

Are there different kinds of crayfish? I used to catch them as a kid but never thought those were the ones we could eat?!

Thats great to know. Ill try it.

bait? anything that givrs of scent i suppose,
cat food, bacon, chicken backs, i dont think their too picky.
when catching them in traps you wnt do as well as other pecies because all though crayfish do live with/around other crayfish, they dont travel in packs or anything

The indigenous(sp?) species in the Pacific Northwest is Pacifasticus Leniusculus, or the Pacific Signal Crayfish. It is the only known one to the waters as far as I found out.

They are territorial, and grow to a territory size limit, (i.e. the more crowded the area, the smaller they are. Mesachie Lake for instance has tons of them but they are relatively small.

Treat them like you would fresh water shrimp or spot prawns, although their shells are tougher they are good eating. I like to cook the tails shell on in butter and wine and garlic, leave them in the broth and crack em while slugging back a good pale ale.

Cheers

We use trout racks or the morts at the trout farm to catch them to clean the pens, those work well, any protien matter would work I would imagine.
And they are tasty, one of my favs, pretty close to spot prawns

Back