Crappy Waranty Trophy XL reels

salmonkiller01

Just for future buyers info, the company that does warranty for trophy reels is slowwww, they have had my reel for 3 weeks and still not back or fixed, told maybe next week. At the start I was told it would be a week. I wont buy another, as much as I like the islander knock off, their service sucks! There was a batch of reels that the handles never got lock-tite is the reason for warranty!

Last edited by a moderator:
So got to ask why not lock tight them yourself???
Hell ive had knobs fall off on almost every reel i just do it my self hen i know its done right. even put my own handles on whats the big deal...????

Just bought it and on the first salmon on the westcoast the handle went overboard! Where I bought it they did not have any in stock. I gotta admit it was a mistake not to fix myself shoulda looked around more for parts.

SHIAT i got lots of handles for them too.... damn

I was just pulling mine apart for a lube before heading to the WCVI....just noticed that one of them has washers in on either side of the spring and the other doesn't at all? It's not "user error".......obviously something is happening between the two different runs of them.

well its not all bad, last week I whined and cried so the wifey bought me a new rod and reel for me, sage rod and tfo reel, used but in great shape.

killer,
i've got a TFO reel. switched out the handles to a larger size. ( all thumbs ) the reel works great and is 1/2 the price of the west coast standard. you well be happy with the performance

bruce

killer,
i've got a TFO reel. switched out the handles to a larger size. ( all thumbs ) the reel works great and is 1/2 the price of the west coast standard. you well be happy with the performance

bruce

I have the TFO Pacific moocher as well and I am happy with it except for the stupid handles. I will switch them out this fall. Did you replace with Islander handles or something else?

Which of the TFO reels do you guys have? Do any of them have a drag system that doesn't need to be oiled or maintained? I love the idea of the islanders but I am really ****** when it comes to maintaining gear.

Thanks

If you don't want to maintain your gear and want to keep it simple, then buy an old used $35 garage sale Alvey mooching reel, they are indestructible.

I was just pulling mine apart for a lube before heading to the WCVI....just noticed that one of them has washers in on either side of the spring and the other doesn't at all? It's not "user error".......obviously something is happening between the two different runs of them.

Hey Pips, I have the same issue and I notice if I take out the white plastic washer and just leave the lower steel from the one reel the drag works much better its not so sensitive, I though it was weird one worked ok and the other was to sensitive, I mean its still is a little too sensitive for my likings but its better, I'm going to look for some softer springs,I think that'll smarten the drags right up
Tim

Which of the TFO reels do you guys have? Do any of them have a drag system that doesn't need to be oiled or maintained? I love the idea of the islanders but I am really ****** when it comes to maintaining gear.

Thanks
I just bought a TFO pacific11 and have to admit it is really nice, much better then the trophy's, I really like it, literally it takes less then 2 mins to lube, pull the drag knob off remove spool and oil cork and levers, re-assy , done.

The TFO I got has nice big handles must have been replaced because they are not the same as stock and they are great, really like it. I just wish I had my trophy reel too. Descent customer service is harder and harder to find nowdays. The guys where i bought the reel are great(tyee Marine). I asked them to send it away for repairs but 3 weeks to fix the handles??? My bet it is sitting on a desk collecting dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 of the trophy reels and am down to 1 handle for both. the other 3 have fallen off at various times while playing fish. i'm stil using the 1 but last week while p[laying spring half of me was thinking handle dont fall off handle dont fall off. I've tried putting them back on but the threads seem to be worked and wont catch. gonna take into barrys where i bought them and see whats up. i,m guessing mine didnt have the lock tite

I have 2 of the trophy reels and am down to 1 handle for both. the other 3 have fallen off at various times while playing fish. i'm stil using the 1 but last week while p[laying spring half of me was thinking handle dont fall off handle dont fall off. I've tried putting them back on but the threads seem to be worked and wont catch. gonna take into barrys where i bought them and see whats up. i,m guessing mine didnt have the lock tite

I had a handle problem so called Trophy. They shipped me the handles I needed plus spares. Quick and no charge to me at all. I thought that was darn good service.

Back