Crab traps

Not catching any salmon so I bought a crap trap. What do you experienced trappers prefer as bait? How about for prawns? (And don't suggest salmon heads...I ain't got any!) Thanks.

tuna catfood is great for prawns.... the manufactured bait works well too

for crab, and fish remains ive heard prawn heads work well too but havent tried it yet

th

Cheap chicken pieces work well with all that fat to chum up the water. You can also use cat food and punch a bunch of holes in the can

Sharp hooks and full traps!

If you are using the rectangular metal traps, weight your doors by putting a few lead weights on or buy the aftermarket doors with the weight built in. Makes a big difference-"They check in but they don't check out."

If you put your traps in any current you should weight them so they don't drift away. I've also seen people Zap strap flattened tin cans,being the weaker metal your trap will not rust up as quick.

I agree with Tsquared I use the weighted doors and the only way I lose crab is if someone else helps themself to my catch. Keep an eye on your traps and don't put them down close to a commercial set or chances are your trap won't be there when you return. Good Luck !!!

Cheers ME

HAPPY HOOKIN !!!

One tip I picked up from a Charlie White video was to align your crab trap doors with the current flow. The theory is that the crabs will follow the bait scent and come right to the door. They apparently have some difficulty finding the doors (especially on square traps) and this helps them out....

I experimented with this and my results seem to support this theory..... Also, crabbing seems to be better on a flood tide (if you're going for a short set).

Pablo is right the way the doors are set makesa huge difference from what i have seen

slack is also really good for crabbing

So, how do you go about aligning your doors to the current. I typically just dump the traps and let them drift down to the bottom.

I never "dump" my trap. I always keep tension on the rope until it hits bottom.

Back