Crab and prawn help

B

Big T

I arrive in Sidney on the 9th. A friend of mine has a boat there and was going to take me out to drop a crab and prawn trap. He may not be able to make it.
I have a charter rental starting on the 13th and wish to let the traps soak for a couple of days and then pick them up during my charter with some friends. I would like to drop the crab trap in Cow bay and the prawn trap in a potential area of promise.
If any one out there is heading out for the afternoon of the 10th or 11th, I would appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
Big “T”

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

You think your traps will still be there after sitting for a few days?
I didn't think people would be so inconsiderate as to steal them.
Is this the norm ?

Big "T"

Big "T"...

It happens all the time and some areas are worse than others.

We have been lucky enough not to have a trap stolen yet this year, but have had prawn and/or crab traps poached almost every year.

Most people set prawn traps for a 3-4 hour soak and crab traps for 2-3 With currents and tides and wind your traps are likely to get moved and possibly into deeper water where they will disappear.
Leaving traps for a couple of days there will be no bait left and you take the chance of dogfish being attracted to them. also what happens if the weather turns foul and you can not retreive them.

quote:Originally posted by Kisinana

Most people set prawn traps for a 3-4 hour soak and crab traps for 2-3 With currents and tides and wind your traps are likely to get moved and possibly into deeper water where they will disappear.
Leaving traps for a couple of days there will be no bait left and you take the chance of dogfish being attracted to them. also what happens if the weather turns foul and you can not retreive them.

Thanks for the heads up and the info. I'am building in maple bay next year and in time will learn the ropes.

Thanks again

Big "T"

we had a good day prawning in the Saanich inlet today, traps were
left to soak overnite and a few of them had 40-50 prawns
per trap.
fairly easy to get a limit if you drop them in the right spot ;)
hardly a boat out there today, a little breezy.

Back