Cowichan River - Region 1 - Coho Opportunity

Thats just my point-- if the guys that are the guardians of this system have apparently no concerns, then is there really any reason for not allowing a retention fishery? I dont know....... but I really think that it makes sense to do some checking before calling for a closure ( based on what???)

Cheers
CL

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

"Our Recreational Community had expressed concern over the impact on Cowichan Stocks by having a 40,000 fish opening in September on conference call with the executive and DFO staff, but were told the fishery would go ahead as planned. Because DFO stock management decided that simply taking 20% off the top of the TAC for Area G this year would be sufficient to protect Cowichan, no action was taken, or will be taken now to restrict greater impact on Cowichan fish. Cowichan Tribes and our Recreational people are meeting next week to consider sending a letter to DFO expressing concern about the management practice which resulted in this impact."

Am I reading this right? They knowingly and deliberately target Cowichan fish in spite of clear issues with returns year after year? Talk about fuel for the FN to demand "quota purchase." Sending a letter? How about an invoice?

Yes you are reading that right and the uproar caused in the Cowichan Tribes community was strong and exactly along the lines you defined !
Deliberate rape of a run in trouble and against the wishes of the guardians of that river .
It was also interesting to note that the Cowichan Tribes patrols confiscated nets from their own people and chased others away to allow the maximum escapment of the endangered Chinooks through before relaxing and allowing very limited traditional fisheries.
This of course is something you will not see reflected in the posts of those who are hell bent on hammering anything which sports a FN view.

AL

I have (what I feel is) a pretty balanced view towards the FN and recreational issues around the salmon and the rivers. Quite honestly my empathy towards the FN movement has lost a lot in the past 5-10 years or so as we all appear to only have ourselves in regard. Reading more posts discussing the FN active stewardship would go a long way to restoring that for me.

I know many feel this is a pipe dream, but if the recreational community and the FN could ever find a way to strike up allies and come to the table as equals I think the union would be a powerful voice that would not go unheard. The agendas are not very different and in both have the salmon at heart.

Again I ask, what are the numbers.? I would love to take home a fresh coho if there are enough to reseed the river but I won't fish a system ,even catch and release, if the numbers are not there.
Shouldn't DFO release the return numbers BEFORE they open a fishery?

Back