Cow coho

Lipripper

Its open for one effective today (min size 25 cm)

Dig the FN notice out

Not sayin this is good nor bad
FYI

Fishery Notice
Category(s):RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:FN1136-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Coho

Cowichan River, downstream of Skutz Falls to the Highway No. 1 Bridge (Silver Bridge) effective 00:01 hours November 16, 2011 to 23:59 hours December 31, 2011 the daily limit forCoho Salmon (over 25cm) either hatchery marked or wild will be one (1) per day. Variation Order: 2011-524Notes:Anglers are further reminded of the following:" The use of single barbless hooks is mandatory in all streams in Region 1;" All foul hooked (ie: hooked other than in the mouth) must be returned to the river immediately;Please refer to the 2011-2013 Freshwater Fishing Regulations Synopsis for further restrictions and information when fishing in the non-tidal waters of British Columbia, or contact your nearest Fish and Wildlife Office (Nanaimo 751-3100), or Department of Fisheries and Oceans Office (Duncan 746-6221).Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at (800) 465-4336.For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at (866) 431-FISH.Recovery of coded-wire tags from recreational fishers provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Sport anglers are reminded to label and submit heads from adipose fin-clippedchinook and coho salmon to Salmon Head Recovery Depots. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program at (866) 483-9994 for further information. FOR MORE INFORMATION: Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada office - Duncan (250) 746-6221.
Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1136
Sent November 15, 2011 at 1421

I had to dig it out anyways......

Whether or not there are "enough" coho in the system, I sure hope none of the (nearly extinct?) chinook stocks are bothered during this fishery... Thanks for the post though. Always interested in the Cow.

I would think that the springs are all but done their thing by this time......

I would like to comment on the opening but can't find the words... I don't mind it but I do a little bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I also would agree on the springs being done for the most part. My only concern was if everything going on in this river during the past 15-20 years is throwing off spawning patterns and expected return dates regarding different species of fish. I know its pretty far out there but if DFO is guessing I may aswell throw some guesses around too. As far as the opening goes, why do it? Sure its a great river to fish, but anyone who truely cares about the returns in the river will not be taking any salmon from it... Just my opinion, I'm sure I'll hear about it, but this river needs fish stocks to rise, and taking fish out of it is certainly no way to do that...

What's the point in opening it? If there are a few surplus Coho (maybe), leave a troubled stream closed. I don't get it.

I still can't beleive we are talking about the Cowichan here. It used to be the mighty Cowichan. It was abundent like none Ive ever seen. Now it's been reduced to a "troubled stream"

Leave it alone

Michael Moore needs to expose DFO once and for all. Do this in a way that he is so obviously capable of. Something even a non fisher could'nt be anything but furious about!

Back