Confused about Foul Hooked Fish

2013-15 TIDAL sportfishing guide page14

DFO pacific website

The CO can still fine you if he feels you were intentially snagging ( like off the bridge on the tidal section of the san juan in port renfrew) most of those yahoo's are snaggers.

Probably best to post the entire paragraph as to not confuse the speed readers...

"It is illegal to catch and retain or attempt to catch salmon by wilfully foul hooking.
Salmon that are foul hooked accidentally in the ocean may be retained.
A salmon intentionally or accidentally foul hooked in any lake or stream including the tidal portions of coastal streams, must
be released immediately to the water from which it was caught with the least amount of harm.
"

Funny, they spelt willfully wrong ;)

I phoned DFO today and spoke with an enforcement officer to get clarification. It is legal to retain a foul hooked fish in saltwater, as long as that fish is in season and of legal size. However, this can be changed with a fishery notice. There is a current notice out that it is illegal to retain any foul hooked salmon in San Juan Bay (Port Renfrew) at present.

Because you guys are saying that is perfectly legal.....when in the regs it clearly says that it isn't.....

I don't know if i should be mentioning this:- but in the past I have had occasion to know some sportfishers who use flashers that are known "fishbiter" flashers (that is the salmon wills bite the flasher because of it's finish)....to this they affixed really really short leaders with a lure with abig hook.

The salmon comes in to hit and in the commotion the short bighooked leader snags the salmon.

There you have it.......a foulhooked salmon on seemingly legal rig.

Now there will be many who will be outraged by this style of fishing...as they should be...I am too.

But proponents of the " it's perfectly o.k. to keep them" school will have no problem obviously......

Dude was quoting freshwater. Show us the link to the salt regs that says you cannot keep a fish that was not intentionally foul hooked. The onus is on you my friend!

Thanks everyone I just didn't know even after reading the regs because it didn't say if the snag was "mortally" but all the tips helped clarify that. Happy fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks everyone for the tips, now that I know no matter what the foul looks like they are to be returned in freshwater. The confusion was over her being returned safely but this one was wounded badly so to me that wasn't a safe return...that's why I asked after seeing this and seeing this guy keep her because of the wound inflicted. Keep on fishing! I'm on it tomorrow for a bit ;)

Polepackinprincess

Back