Concern over possible destruction of Fraser River fish habitat

this news is garbage, the area has been gravel mined and a rec area for offroad enthusiasts for as long as i can remember.

Media news grab.

this news is garbage, the area has been gravel mined and a rec area for offroad enthusiasts for as long as i can remember.

Media news grab.

That may be true, doesn't mean it may not be habitat or could be used as habitat if left alone.

We are taking dams out of places that don't make sense anymore. If this is decent habitat its not much to ask for this to stop.

I am kind of in agreement. It doesn't look very good from PR perspective. Yes people might always do it but not at that scale. It looks ignorant.

It's sad because i know how this is going to end. The gate is going to get locked and sports fishermen are going to lose access to one of the most popular sockeye fishing areas that you don't need a boat to fish.

meanwhile a blind eye just gets turned to this happening every year

That news story is 6 years old. I have been up there a couple of times within the past 4 weeks and haven't seen any gravel mining underway from the Agassiz Bridge to Johnston Slough.

The mining they did under that permit did do quite a lot of damage to some of the side channel habitat around Tranmer Road which haven't recovered. Rip rapping, which is on going on the south shore under and near to Agassiz Bridge does about as much damage.

I'm having quite some difficulty understanding how driving a bunch of trucks through the fraser river in areas frequented by spawning salmon and other rearing species isn't a huge problem. What on earth were those clowns thinking! Hoping the videos provide Fisheries Officers with the evidence needed to lay some charges under the Fisheries Act. Crazy that people actually think this is OK.

I'm having quite some difficulty understanding how driving a bunch of trucks through the fraser river in areas frequented by spawning salmon and other rearing species isn't a huge problem. What on earth were those clowns thinking! Hoping the videos provide Fisheries Officers with the evidence needed to lay some charges under the Fisheries Act. Crazy that people actually think this is OK.

Exactly

Back