Comox/Campbell river salmon charter advice?

My daughter and I and my brother and his son will be in the Comox/Campbell River area the last few days of July, and would like to book a day trip for salmon for four. I have been looking on the Net, and found a number of possibilities including the four at this site:
http://www.hellobc.com/comox/things-to-do/water-activities/fishing.aspx
Looks like rates for a day trip run $700-800 CD.
Can anyone offer advice on good relaible charter operators/guides in the area?
Also looking for any possible suggestions on reasonable lodging facilities that would include a kitchenette. I know we may already be too late. None of us have been north of Victoria -- and that was as little kids 50 years ago.

Really appreciate the advice guys. There's sooo much to learn about fishing opportunities on Vancouver Island. You are so blessed!

just looking at these places - surprising some of them are so expensive considering the fishing isn't as comparable to other places around the island any more. I sure as heck wouldn't pay $800 for a day trip when I may not even catch a fish and can fill a freezer for $200 more on the west coast. If your kids can handle big water, maybe go with one of them that head to Gold River or Tofino, if not, definitely go with the $600 and less for a day and it would pay if you can to go to Port Hardy instead to fish from there.

As for accommodation - look maybe north of CR - heritage river inn has kitchen suites, elk falls vacation rentals has a suite. Alders Beach Resort to the south has full kitchens but week min. Not sure what else as haven't lived there for a few years now.

just looking at these places - surprising some of them are so expensive considering the fishing isn't as comparable to other places around the island any more. I sure as heck wouldn't pay $800 for a day trip when I may not even catch a fish and can fill a freezer for $200 more on the west coast. If your kids can handle big water, maybe go with one of them that head to Gold River or Tofino, if not, definitely go with the $600 and less for a day and it would pay if you can to go to Port Hardy instead to fish from there.

As for accommodation - look maybe north of CR - heritage river inn has kitchen suites, elk falls vacation rentals has a suite. Alders Beach Resort to the south has full kitchens but week min. Not sure what else as haven't lived there for a few years now.

Not sure where you get the may not catch a fish? when was the last time you fished here? There are loads of fish. Is it the west coast? No, but also 1 out of 3 people arent hanging over the gunnel puking there guts out in 6-10 foot rollers on the nicest days.. The weather is usually great at that time of the year and the water is usually pretty calm. The biggest spring Anywhere on the island came out of Sonara on this side 2 years ago pushing 70lbs. THere is been Tyees landed here quite a bit over the last month, havent heard much of that from the west side. IM not knocking the west side at all, I love it out there, but dont sell Comox/CR short, there is great fishing around here. The limit is 2 chinook a day whether you go to the west coast, the north or east, And there is lots of guides around here that will put your 2 springs in the boat more times then not including the 2 guys i mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure where you get the may not catch a fish? when was the last time you fished here? There are loads of fish. Is it the west coast? No, but also 1 out of 3 people arent hanging over the gunnel puking there guts out in 6-10 foot rollers on the nicest days.. The weather is usually great at that time of the year and the water is usually pretty calm. The biggest spring Anywhere on the island came out of Sonara on this side 2 years ago pushing 70lbs. THere is been Tyees landed here quite a bit over the last month, havent heard much of that from the west side. IM not knocking the west side at all, I love it out there, but dont sell Comox/CR short, there is great fishing around here. The limit is 2 chinook a day whether you go to the west coast, the north or east, And there is lots of guides around here that will put your 2 springs in the boat more times then not including the 2 guys i mentioned.

Last fishing 2 years ago, regularly 6 years ago. Not saying you can't catch fish, just saying thats pretty expensive when compared to rest of the coast. You ask anyone that has ever fished all around the island if they had the option of fishing in Gold River for $1000, Sooke for $600 or Campbell River for $800, I think 99% of them would either say GR or Sooke!

To me, the only fishing that would make CR a destination, is the chum fishery, the sockeye (when/if they are still crazy in Plumper), and the tyee pool for the historic value and the thrill of possibly getting one of those hogs. Other than that, I did not enjoy the summer fishery and the deep fishing usually required.

That is from someone that has fished all up and down the island and just giving an honest opinion. If CR is suddenly the fishing capital all over again in the last year or so, then I guess I'm mistaken :)

Thanks again for the posts, guys.
I noticed one guide offers beach/estuary flyfishing, which might be more up our alley. Does anyone here fish for the smaller salmon this way? I am thinking a 7-weight outfit with plenty of backing on the reel might be a heck of a lot of fun if the fish are near shore.

Chris at Crabbys is the one I would suggest. I don't know the other guys but I sure know Chris. Great guy, great boat and he can fish.

good luck

Back