Commercial Vessel...Monitoring and Inspection

richmake

Now I know this topic has been covered in the past but I think it's important to add a catagory that concentrates more on the actual facts and requirements and not as much as whether it is right or wrong....
I have been in talks with Transport Canada over the past month trying to clear up some of the grey areas that seem to be lost in the process.
My personal opinion is the process has many flaws but that is only my opinion.
First of all, None of the info below is my opinion, just simple facts and written literature as per Transport Canada.

If you plan on taking part in the process the below info will be useful. If you plan on bucking the system than not to worry about reading any further...this isn't a debate rather an info forum for those that plan on taking part and need clarification and help...

I have been involved in 3 inspections and all have been not without alot of confusion and unrest but all came to the same conclusion so I hope the following info might be helpful.
When the first S.V.M.P program came out...it was mass confusion and industry unrest.Most guides and inspectors were not without questions and the end result was alot of non-compliance and a demand for a simplified system.
Now, we have a better process....self-inspection/compliance...not perfect just better!
In my view it makes the industry become alot more self regulated and leaves alot of the decisions in our own hands.
Transport Canada new that due to logistics and lack of man power, they could not fulfill nor monitor the program properly and because of the ever changing policies, it was simply not working.
One part of the puzzle has always been inforcement but also the fact that Transport Canada and Company/personal insurance have nothing to do with eachother nor does one justify the other.
Confused yet....don't be.
The program is just another way for government to push the liability stand points on to the owner/operators...easy to figure out...they cover this up by using safety as a reason...fair enough!
It is also very important to mention that if your policy of insurance say's your O.K. to charter/charge to carry passangers...it has nothing to do with Transport Canada and is a completely different legal direction...
Before I go further, I want to make sure that I state that I'm not in total agreeance with the policies in place, I'm just stating facts, etc. and since I've been through a few of these inspections...I feel my comments have some relevance....

Here we go:

You can contact Transport Canada here and request a Vessel Operator self-Inspection Package
Pacific: (604) 666 – 5300

trust me...it's quicker to phone than anything else...just seems to be faster...
I also guarantee you will find a fellow on the other end of the phone who has limited knowledge of the process and may possibly have trouble with the English language...not a problem nor should it be...just kindly ask the fellow for the package to be mailed out.

The following topics I tried to make as simple to understand from a guides point of view and as to not put further confusion to the process.

Now once you get the Self-Inspection package... read through it carefully as the following things May be</u> mandatory even Before
you do your inspection (which by the way is the easiest part of the process).

All vessels need to have a commercial licence.
That in the end is a C number on your boat...not a BC #

Follow all the paper work, measure your vessel, take photos, and mail in the check.....simple.

Once this is done...do your check list.
Now all the procedures and requirments are there but you will notice alot hinges on the Captain having his S.V.O.P amd Med A3...
If you have the above courses...most stuff will fall into place.

A few notes of interest:

I found that once your vessel crossed over the 8.5-9m size...things changed alot
Liferafts and mandatory S.V.O.P etc became more clear...
For instance...if you have something larger than say a 25' boat...you are more likely to run into problems just based on vessel size and requirments...

Also...and I got into great debate over this one...
Your vessel is measured in a commercial aspect</u> as per the registry requirements.
With this being said...your vessel can only be measured from the hard points on your vessel...anything bolted on is absolutely not a permanent fixture.
Yes, bolted brackets and bow pulpits are excluded from the measurements...
Same as a commercial seiner running a stern ramp or bolted on bow to bypass the licence length...
I plan on posting some guidelines and simple hints in the next few day...

Anyhow, anyone wanting to add info or comments ...please feel free as the process is ever changing and like I've said above...is flawed and not without problems

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

For vessels over 8.5m or 5GT, life raft is only mandatory if you travel more than 2miles from shore. Also, need your Limited Masters ticket (although according to my instructor, in a guides case, it seems inspectors are not rigid too much on that and apparently if you have the qualifications for a vessel 8.5m&lt; then you may be ok), but got it anyway.

Also, one crew member is needed per so many people for over 8.5m...plus there are plenty of other regs that are diff.

Cheers,
David

PS - HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY...You know damn right I'm celebrating it :D;)

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

For vessels over 8.5m or 5GT, life raft is only mandatory if you travel more than 2miles from shore. Also, need your Limited Masters ticket (although according to my instructor, in a guides case, it seems inspectors are not rigid too much on that and apparently if you have the qualifications for a vessel 8.5m&lt; then you may be ok), but got it anyway.

Also, one crew member is needed per so many people for over 8.5m...plus there are plenty of other regs that are diff.

Cheers,
David

PS - HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY...You know damn right I'm celebrating it :D;)

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

I think you have a handle on it....
The liferaft is a bit of an issue as we all know you fish that far....sometimes[:0]
The other limited masters ticket is a bit of a grey area still.
I think the number of people is 6 and in most cases this won't effect you.
I've never had a charter with 6 clients on the boat and pleasure is totally different...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

Back