Commercial Crab Harvester Fined $20,000 for Fishing in a Closed Contaminated Area

Pretty sad, with the price of shellfish I'm sure a large percentage is illegally harvested. I think the oriental restaurants are a huge market for illegally harvested shellfish and other species of fish that are closed to harvest. I haven't read a report of a restaurant being busted for selling sturgeon lately, but I'm sure it's a pretty common "off menu" practice with big money to be made.

I would never order a dish with clams, or crab in a restaurant for fear it came from a contaminated source. I think it a huge issue that makes massive money for poachers who have little fear of prosecution because of budget cuts for enforcement on the water. I think the problem is far, far larger than most people suspect because of the huge prices for shellfish these days. Also, some people have absolutely no regard for the fact a species is closed for harvest and will actually pay a premium in a restaurant to eat a species restricted from harvest. I'm sickened by these stories, and I'm sure many people are physically sickened by unknowingly eating these polluted illegally harvested species every year.

Pretty sad, with the price of shellfish I'm sure a large percentage is illegally harvested. I think the oriental restaurants are a huge market for illegally harvested shellfish and other species of fish that are closed to harvest. I haven't read a report of a restaurant being busted for selling sturgeon lately, but I'm sure it's a pretty common "off menu" practice with big money to be made.
Sturgeon is widely available legally it's ethically raised on the Sunshine Coast/has been for years.

I've eaten it a number of times quite dense flesh with a distinct muddy flavour not my favourite but it's often in the Bouillabaisse @ The Fish Counter up on Main St

I would never order a dish with clams, or crab in a restaurant for fear it came from a contaminated source. I think it a huge issue that makes massive money for poachers who have little fear of prosecution because of budget cuts for enforcement on the water. I think the problem is far, far larger than most people suspect because of the huge prices for shellfish these days. Also, some people have absolutely no regard for the fact a species is closed for harvest and will actually pay a premium in a restaurant to eat a species restricted from harvest. I'm sickened by these stories, and I'm sure many people are physically sickened by unknowingly eating these polluted illegally harvested species every year.
I eat them all/have for years and never had any issue.

Sturgeon is widely available legally it's ethically raised on the Sunshine Coast/has been for years.

I've eaten it a number of times quite dense flesh with a distinct muddy flavour not my favourite but it's often in the Bouillabaisse @ The Fish Counter up on Main St

I eat them all/have for years and never had any issue.

That's great that there are legal sources for Sturgeon locally now. I didn't know that was available, thanks for the info. I guess that has hopefully cut down on the poached Sturgeon sold illegally in some restaurants. There used to be regular stories of prosecutions for that, but I haven't heard a report about that in a while.

Back