Coho river season

Elsner

Hey i am planing a trip to go coho fly fishing up the river but i am kinda new on Vancouver Island. Do anyone know when the coho start entering the rivers?

And i have heard that Sooke River is a Chum heaven is that right?

Hey i am planing a trip to go coho fly fishing up the river but i am kinda new on Vancouver Island. Do anyone know when the coho start entering the rivers?

And i have heard that Sooke River is a Chum heaven is that right?
The timing varies from river to river and is very much dependent on the rain. North island will be seeing coho now, but without rain they'll stay in the estuaries. Most mid and south island rivers will start to see them in front in September and if a rain comes, some will move in, but river fishing for coho really gets going once the bigger rains start in October. Some rivers will see fresh fish enter through November and even later. The best rule of thumb is: before rain, fish in the chuck; after rain, fish in the river.

And the Sooke gets chum, yes. The human run on the river is just about as big as the chum run, though. Many of the south and mid island rivers get chum. Fish close to the salt (or in it) and after rain for the freshest fish.

The timing varies from river to river and is very much dependent on the rain. North island will be seeing coho now, but without rain they'll stay in the estuaries. Most mid and south island rivers will start to see them in front in September and if a rain comes, some will move in, but river fishing for coho really gets going once the bigger rains start in October. Some rivers will see fresh fish enter through November and even later. The best rule of thumb is: before rain, fish in the chuck; after rain, fish in the river.

And the Sooke gets chum, yes. The human run on the river is just about as big as the chum run, though. Many of the south and mid island rivers get chum. Fish close to the salt (or in it) and after rain for the freshest fish.
So i have planned my vacation from the 23 of september to the 9 oktober and i had in mind to fish the mid and South rivers because i dont know the northen rivers. Do u think there could be coho and chum in the rivers there?

So i have planned my vacation from the 23 of september to the 9 oktober and i had in mind to fish the mid and South rivers because i dont know the northen rivers. Do u think there could be coho and chum in the rivers there?
They will definitely be around. That's a great time to be on VI. Whether they're in the rivers or not depends on the rain. Late Sept is a great time to fish for coho off the ECVI beaches if no or only small rains have come. If you're here for the first decent rain of the fall, head to your favourite river and you'll find coho - the bigger the rain, the further up they'll go. They move very quickly. Early Oct might be my favourite time to fish for chum as they're usually still bright. You'll find them in many of the rivers from Sooke to Campbell on the inside. The Puntledge is the sacrificial chum meat fishery if you're into that. Tons of fish nearer the end of your stay, but also loads of folks with yarn and pencil lead, if you know what I mean. Not really my scene.

They will definitely be around. That's a great time to be on VI. Whether they're in the rivers or not depends on the rain. Late Sept is a great time to fish for coho off the ECVI beaches if no or only small rains have come. If you're here for the first decent rain of the fall, head to your favourite river and you'll find coho - the bigger the rain, the further up they'll go. They move very quickly. Early Oct might be my favourite time to fish for chum as they're usually still bright. You'll find them in many of the rivers from Sooke to Campbell on the inside. The Puntledge is the sacrificial chum meat fishery if you're into that. Tons of fish nearer the end of your stay, but also loads of folks with yarn and pencil lead, if you know what I mean. Not really my scene.
I have to ask where is ECVI Beach, is it east coast Vancouver Island? I hope i am not asking too much, but do u now any rivers where there are Good coho action in the northen part (North of Campbell) of Vancouver Island at the time I arrive? I really appricate that you are taking your time for all my questions.

Hey Elsner, I’m in the same position as you , new the island trying to find beaches and rivers to fish for salmon , lots of browsing on the internet and driving doing recon is the really the only way , the more fishermen I talk to around here the more intel I gather , I haven’t seen anyone beach fishing yet , unless you want to count the half dozen seals I seen at the mouth of a river yesterday

Good luck in your hunt

I have to ask where is ECVI Beach, is it east coast Vancouver Island? I hope i am not asking too much, but do u now any rivers where there are Good coho action in the northen part (North of Campbell) of Vancouver Island at the time I arrive? I really appricate that you are taking your time for all my questions.
Oh, the game on the east coast of Vancouver Island (ECVI) is to find beach accesses nearish estuaries, bring your binocs, and travel between beaches until you spot jumpers, then catch them, of course. It's pretty much only hatchery retention over there, though. Scour the regs before going. Pink salmon will be starting to show any day now, but coho won't likely be caught until early to mid-Sept. I don't know the timing super well, but I've had luck from mid-Sept until late Oct - all rain-dependant as I mentioned.

Coho will be in the rivers north of Campbell when you're here, but the same thing applies. The best fishing will be a day or two after a rain. I'd say just look at google maps and explore. Fish higher up after bigger rains and look for big pools with holding water. Pretty much every river has some number of coho. They consolidate in big pools below faster water, usually, but not always. You'll be here at the prime time, and if you follow the before rain = salt, after rain = river rule, you'll find some.

As the others have said - fishing in the fall from shore is all about timing - and watching. Most of the "pros" you'll see sitting on the logs watching for rises before getting their gear wet. If they dont see what they like, they get in the car and try different spots, until of course they see what they are looking for.

Of course, changing spots means really knowing the Regs. Fishing in the non- tidal (river) sections requires a separate license and a separate stamp if you want to retain any salmon.

I really recommend checking out the Nilecreek flyshop website and check the reports page. Website is a bit clunky, but you can go back in the archives and get really good info on historically what the reports are like on certain dates.

Well it is the 28th, so I will look on DFO page re cowichan open yet.
Okay, it is open, 3 different regs,/ times/ locations to worry about.

Last edited:
Well it is the 28th, so I will look on DFO page re cowichan open yet.
Okay, it is open, 3 different regs,/ times/ locations to worry about.
It's open for C&R from 66 mile to Sandy right now. Retention of one coho begins on Nov 1 in the same stretch of river. The lower section (from Sandy to the tidal boundary) opens on Nov 15 for one coho.

I believe these openings are for gear as well as fly.

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:
FN1120-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Angling Opportunities - Effective Immediately

As a result of above average returns of Cowichan Chinook, and average to above average expectations for Cowichan Coho, below details the in-season changes to the management measures on the Cowichan River.

Effective immediately, the no fishing order is lifted (allowing for angling with non-retention of salmon) in the following area:

Cowichan River - from 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the white triangle boundary sign located in Sandy Pool Regional Park.

Effective 00:01 hours November 1 to 23:59 hours November 15, the daily limit for Coho Salmon is one (1) per day (hatchery marked or unmarked), in the following area:
Cowichan River - from 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the white triangle boundary sign located in Sandy Pool Regional Park.

Effective 00:01 hours November 16 to 23:59 hours December 31, the daily limit for Coho Salmon is one (1) per day (hatchery marked or unmarked), in the following area:

Cowichan River - from 66 Mile Trestle downstream to the tidal water boundary

Reminder: downstream of the white triangle boundary sign located in Sandy Pool Regional Park, downstream to the tidal water boundary is closed to fishing until 23:59 hours November 15.

Anglers are being requested to provide catch information from the Coho fishery to DFO through the use of a catch card system. Anglers wishing to participate in this fishery can obtain catch cards at the following retailers:

- Bucky's Sport Shop, Duncan
- Gone Fishin', Duncan
- Gord's Fly Box, Lake Cowichan

Anglers can also find cards/drop boxes at the Stoltz Pool Campground and Sandy Pool Park.

Variation Orders: 2021-RFQ-580; 2021-RCT-499

Notes:

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

Anglers are further reminded that intentionally (willfully) foul-hooking fish or attempting to foul hook fish is illegal and that non-compliance may result in closure. Foul hook is defined as: hooking a fish in any part of its body other than the mouth.

Information about finfish closed areas and salmon non-retention areas, and other recreational fishing information, can be found on the Internet at: www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish

The term "hatchery marked", "marked", or "adipose fin clipped" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery program by labeling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped Chinook and Coho Salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program toll free at 1-866-483-9994 for further information.

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line at 1-800-465-4336 or by email at DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at 1-866-431-FISH (3474).

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Erika Watkins, ECVI Recreational Fisheries Manager, Erika.Watkins@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Or contact your local DFO office: http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/contact/regions/pacific-pacifique-eng.html

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1120
Sent October 21, 2021 at 1524

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the in season opening for the Cow pretty easy to understand as Derby explained its a similar opening as the last few years except after the 15 you will be able to retain all the way to the tidal which is a welcome change that opens up a bunch of water for people to spread out on. Originally I skimmed the notice and just figured it was the same opening we have had the last two years, I was wrong.

If you are asking what the regulations are about the Cowichan please read and learn how to navigate the freshwater synopsis it is pretty easy to understand and takes less then 10 min everyone who is on the river should review it if they are not familiar.

Last edited:
I see the water office graph for the Cowichan, and it seems very high, all the time recently. Is there some sort of effort to get the springs/coho/chum up and over the falls at Skutz?
It would seem to me to be far to high to fish cohos.

I see the water office graph for the Cowichan, and it seems very high, all the time recently. Is there some sort of effort to get the springs/coho/chum up and over the falls at Skutz?
It would seem to me to be far to high to fish cohos.
It looks like it'll be raging for a while with the additional rain forecast for this week.

Back