Cheakamus question

H

huntinnewbie

Having a heated discussion regarding the need for a steelhead tag for the Cheakamus. According the wording in the regs, you need a tag if you intend on fishing for steelhead. Si if we are fishing with light tackle and spin fishing for trout do we need a tag?
Son says yes and I think no. Whats the correct answer.
We are aware that anything you catch is catch and release.

No.

EDIT-It's obvious you're not</u> trying to circumvent the law just light tackle fishing for Trout and any CO can see that.

Got the answer from a CO who checked it out and you do not need a steelhead tag if fishing with light gear and casting for trout. If you are set up for steelies then of course you do.

so your fishing in a river full of steel and its steel season with a steel run in full swing and your casting for trout......so what the hell do you think a steelhead is..................A trout.....grey area at best eh!,,,,Why not buy a steel head tag and help support the fishery....:D

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

Not to hijack a Chehalis thread, but how exactly does buying a steelhead tag help "support the fishery" in the context of the Cowichan, Hootey? Do you know something I don't?

Just curious as to what our fabulous MoE is doing to support one of the best steelhead rivers on the Island, so I can feel better about the $25.00 I just spent for my tag, thats all.

Gooey

Its a feel good thing and it cant hurt ey Gooey...:D

ITS OUR PASSION TO FISH AND GET OUT OF DOORS...PLEASE...FISH LEGAL OR GET OFF THE RIVER!

A couple weeks ago, I was playing a nice chromer at the Sandy pull out, after a good day drifting. Anyhow, A CO watched me play the fish and after I got a good photo off it went, the CO checked my stuff and liscence with the steelhead tag- and he said I quote "You have a tag, amazing, first one I have checked with one!" I was blown away- stressing why, he said you don't need one anymore on this system, just say your're fishing trout!
Next year will be the last year of hatch fish coming back. sad very sad! and sader to pay a guy a 60,000.00 a year to walk around checking 'trout' fisherman.
cs out!

My personal feeling is if there is steelhead in the river the time you are angling-buy your steelhead tag- The cheapest part of fishing is the licence & tags is it not?My time & truck fuel is worth more that having to look over my shoulder wondering if someone is going to jump out of the bushes and check me? Just my two bits
[8D]

quote:Originally posted by steeliehead

In the regs it states that if steelhead are in season you need the tag, simple.
Sorry but the regs state " you need a steelhead tag in you intend to fish for steelhead" and that's written in bold letters.
As for the replies stating we should buy one regardless:
After buying our annual hunting licence x2 and our annual fishing licence x2 plus our deer tags, bear tags, and salmon tags x2 we thought we would cut it off there.
We were simply going to visit someone for the weekend that lives on the Cheakamus and we are not, nor have we ever been steelhead fisherman.
All we wanted to do was a bit of spin casting with light gear for some of the resident trout.

Back