Campion explorer

Jencourt

Any one have any feedback about the overall quality, hull construction of a 1995 225 explorer.

Yes or no in your books???

Cheers: Ray

Mixed... They are pretty nice looking boats with a good layout/ride. The problem is if you look at the early 90s hulls alot of them are in rough shape with bad stringers,transoms ect. IMHO there are better constructed boats in the same price range but as most say you will likely have to go south of the border to find them. Its worth it in the long run.

Hi Jencourt I have a trophy thats all set to fish and has a very good catch record , call me if you like , tried to pm you but don 't think it w3orked. 1 902 32380

Mixed... They are pretty nice looking boats with a good layout/ride. The problem is if you look at the early 90s hulls alot of them are in rough shape with bad stringers,transoms ect. IMHO there are better constructed boats in the same price range but as most say you will likely have to go south of the border to find them. Its worth it in the long run.

Thanks for the input. PM sent

Ive owned two campions. A 19' center console (1990) since 1997 and just last year sold it and got a '99 622. I think sometimes manufacturers get a bad rap from a few instances and it sno-balls from there. I like their ride, they are laid out well (there is always room for improvement) and they trailer easily. I have never had nor seen any structural issues with the campions I've owned. That being said, I think there are a lot of factors that can contribute to problems, like;
how well the original and susequent owners look after their boats;
garage kept or just outside filling up with rain water?;
a really big one that seems to get by most guys is the correct trailer and proper support, especially down logging roads;
I've seen guys going way too fast for the sea conditions and have pounded the crap out their rides.
All of this, year after year, will age a boat fast.
I looked at a couple of older campions (1989 and 1991) with some structural problems, but when I looked closely, it had appeared the drain plug had been left in or the drain got plugged, and the boat was allowed to fill up with snow and rain water for an entire winter. I'm not too sure there are many fiberglass boats built in the '90s that could walk away from that problem free.
Jencourt, what ever you decide on, be picky, it's your $$, and get what YOU want. Having a pro survey done would be wise and is great piece of mind.
Leo

I've got a 97' 552 Explorer and love it....NO problems ever...love how it handles and
I would buy another in a heartbeat, and probably will in a few yrs..
there was one in Port that I like, a 622Explorer:p,just not sure of the diesel for power..

mine came from the interior(google Jones Boys) used in spring2004 with incredibly low hrs..full history,and has been garage kept since new..now has 535hrs on 4.3ltr main

as 190FM said, be VERY picky with your choice, and if it don't feel/look rite walk,no run away!!

if buying used I think the boats "HISTORY" is key...
as with cars/trucks, there are ford guys,dodge guys and gmc guys(me:))

again take your time and have fun looking...good luck:D

edit..I've had 3 boats all from different makers, one before my 552 was a 94 SeaRay and gotta say love the Campion hands down...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray, I know a guy who has one and is happy with it. PM me if you want his phone #

I bought a new Explorer 542 last year and have been very happy with the boat. Well built and pretty roomy for a 19.5'er. Absolutely no problems or issues with the rig, whatsoever. Don't know about the older hulls but I would buy a newer one again, for sure.

Back