campbell river

Hey Island Fish Lifter, do you live in CR. I am moving there this summer and looking for any information that would assist me in making the transition from fresh to salt water salmon fishing. Thanks

Hey moe, when are you coming out? Im away from mid june to early sept. If youre here before that Id love to take you out. September and Oct. are good here too. Theres lots to know depending on where you want to fish.

I'll be there towards the end of June. My brother inlaw lives there and fishes quite a bit but is new at it. I have been out there with him and trolled the hump and out in the area. I would like to know some bottom fishing spots around there as well. Last year we were jigging over by Quadra North of where the ferry crosses and he hooked into a hali about 60 lbs but we had nothing to gaff or grab him with and as I tried to put a noose around his tail it took off and got unhooked. I look forward to meeting you there later this summer.

moe, not much I recall for jigging in the CR area (besides the hump). If you are looking for bottom fish, I know there are/were plenty of good holes around Whaletown over on Cortes - extended out from the north side of the bay (300' or so was the ticket), and into the next bay heading north just before plumper pass - look for the deep holes on the depth sounder. Those were cod/snapper holes (to 20 lbs, but I haven't fished it for years)..not sure on salmon though.

Really, CR is a b*tch to fish for a newbee. The best rush is to fish the tyee pool in late august/september, sockeye mania when they are there (believe August), around Plumper Bay and Separation, and then of course, the best chum fishing in the world in the Plumper/Separation area for late sept to November...THAT is a gong show that can't be missed and really the only fishery I looked forward to.

Personally, the mudge area was no fun whatsoever (but I had manual downriggers at the time and that was probably a big part of my hatred!)

I know further north was good to for springs, but I never went that far - Rock Bay, Greensea Bay, Chatham Pnt....

Thanks for the info Dee. Last summer when I was out there I saw some really big carcasses of cod and snapper at the launchramp and wondered where they would have come from. I'll have to give the Cortez area a try. I know how tricky the currents are around the south end of Quadra and you can't be sleeping at the helm when rigging around there. I can trailer my boat to Brown's Bay and go to Chatham Pt from there I guess.

Back