Bunks,Electrolysis and Aluminum Boats....

Pressure treated Wood with carpet over top???

ACQ eats metal. ACQ is what is used in treated wood. Has anyone with the corrosion problem looked at what type of wood is being used for the bunks? I bet it is not cedar. I bet it is not untreated fir either. The puck board would separate theI metal from the CONDUCTIVE wet carpet, under which the ACQ treated boards sit. I bet when you have salt water the conductivity jumps even higher.

Drewski

Guess the only way to tell if it's pressure treated is to unbutton some of the carpet and have a look at the wood...

If it's got green or blue tinge it would be the pressure treated....right?

Anybody know if EZ Loader uses pressure-treated on their new bunks?

Several years back a company came out with this "plastic wood" designed to be an alternative for those building decks and stuff.

You could get it in 2x4's

I don't think the plastic wood ever received certification for use as structural studs in a house...

It was kind of a compound that could be sawn.

I think they still sell it here and there.....not sure where..

Just wondering if this stuff would be good as a base for bunks....??

Guess the only way to tell if it's pressure treated is to unbutton some of the carpet and have a look at the wood...

If it's got green or blue tinge it would be the pressure treated....right?

Anybody know if EZ Loader uses pressure-treated on their new bunks?

Several years back a company came out with this "plastic wood" designed to be an alternative for those building decks and stuff.

You could get it in 2x4's

I don't think the plastic wood ever received certification for use as structural studs in a house...

It was kind of a compound that could be sawn.

I think they still sell it here and there.....not sure where..

Just wondering if this stuff would be good as a base for bunks....??

Most lumber yards carry it now. It would be worth looking into. My trailer's wood was unpressure treated fir 2"x6" fwiw. I replaced the wood with aluminum channels (pricey compared to wood or wood alternatives).

Was looking around on the net......Kingtrailers in the states (they make boat trailers) make these things called GlideKing bunks....on some of their trailers they come standard equip with these.

They are a poly-urethane bunk glide system.

Lots of Kingtrailer dealers around Washington,Oregon.

MasterMarine in Vernon , Washington for one.

On Kingtrailer's site they claim they are wholesalers only....so one would need to go to a dealer.....

Don't know what Glide-King bunks are worth......

What kind of screws/bolts do you guys use to affix your UHMW to the bunks you are putting it on?

Stainless low profile screws-I used 2 inch but I had some other issues-I don't think they normally have to be that long.

I will take that extra stuff you have Mike
Thanks

SS

My carpeted bunks rotted out pretty quickly
Replaced them with pressure treated wood and covered them with the plastic that industrial plastic sells and counter sunk the stainless screws.

I have been very happy with it and the boat slides on and off much easier on the plastic. The boat does not come into contact with the pressure treated wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
IslandGirl...what plastic is it that Industrial Plastics sold you?

Other posters:- What was the cost of the UHMW you bought?

If I use the plastic fake lumber ( think I can get it at Home Depot) 2x4's.......are they as strong flex-wise as Fir? Like.....sagging in the middle.

If I use the plastic fake lumber ( think I can get it at Home Depot) 2x4's.......are they as strong flex-wise as Fir? Like.....sagging in the middle.

From a Trex (plastic lumber) statement:"•Trex is NOT designed to perform as a one-for-one structural replacement for wood. It is not intended for primary structural load-bearing elements, such as posts, joists and beams."
... and likely not the best for bunks. A good piece of Douglas fir (not spruce or pine) will last a long time.

Back