Browns Bay Chum Derby

Looks like the chum dumpster...and he is sinking....
No..not an inflatable...LOL

derb.jpg

Here is one of the crowd off the point. I think thats IFL on the right.

The boat on the left with Randy from Trailer Park Boys looks like there's water coming over the port side of the transom, is that an inflatable?
Na it's the same boat that was in the first picture I posted. Just might be full of rain water, wisk, blood and fish.

Back from the chuck and a test fish. Hit greenseas for a little action this aft. fished from 1 till 3 and brought to the boat 4 or 5 with 3 or 4 LDR's. Fish are bright and I did get a few looks for letting them go. It's a test fish so what do they expect. Used regular chum gear the pink squirt with a touch of blue on it. You can pick them up at the gas dock at BB. Only ran three rods with one side around 70 and the other side at 80 and 60. Cant tell everything as I need to keep a few things close to the vest for the derby. OBMG guys were doing well as were the other boats. Great day on the water with no wind and plenty of sunshine.
Tight lines
GLG

Has anyone heard a fish forecast for this years chum returns? And will DFO plan to have a opening around derby time.

Seines open Oct 4 and Oct 17 it looks like...

"The next Area B seine fishing opportunity in Johnstone Strait is planned on
October 17, subject to in-season assessment information. Harvesters should
contact their Area Harvest Committee representatives for updated information."

Thanks Islandgirl. Not looking good for the derby, wish that they would push that second opening to after the derby. O well still going but if the fishing sucks I'm sorry but this will be my last trip up there. To much travel and money for no fish. We usually take 2 days off work and travel from Victoria for the derby. This year half are party called it quits( 6 guys and 2 boats) because of the last 2 years, if this continues I will join them. It's to bad because this is a fun time.

You know a few years ago they seined up until the saturday am of the derby...that REALLY hurt!

Sunday afternoon we started getting a few fish..too late I know, but at least this year it is 4 days prior to the derby. It all really depends on what is coming down the straight.

I won't be making it this year, family commitements and it has gotten a little too commercialized/big business for me. I will plan to fish the weekend before, and just before the commie opening.

I'm renting a chalet for the Derby anyone interested in staying up there Friday night to help share the cost looking for 3 or 4 people 50 bucks a head PM me if your interested.

Well I know it is a late post about the derby, but I had to get out of detox first and my liver still hasn't forgiven me. This is the fifth year strait for me and my friend from parksville ( buddy's boats name is MORNING WOOD) Got to stay at the rental suite thisyear instead of the camper ( Thanks Casper,siwash and company)
Fishing was good on saturday going 8 for 15 on but nothing big. Sunday was a different story and nothing short of fabulous fishing for 3 hours. off the point in deep water bay. Played , lost , released and kept our limit. ( played over 30 fish )nothing big again but we came home with our two day limit.
Now about Brown's Bay Resort : Thanks to Brent , Ester, Mike, Linda and all the other staff at Brown's Bay. We had a great time and appreciate the time and energy that was put in to make a very successful event.
The charity derby has donated 37,000.00 to date, to Green Ways Land Trust. I am sure with such a successful event the numbers will grow..
There is live entertainment Friday ( Kenny Shaw/ Brain Temple) and Saturday night( John Renolds put on another great performance again) . There is always incredible prizes for a 25.00 Derby including a T-Shirt. I would recommend this derby to everyone, It is a no stress fun derby.. I have always had a great time and am already booked in for next year.

Back