bristol bay brawl

spring time

did anyone watch bristol bay brawl last night on the discover channel it was about the herring fishery in bristol bay. they were using 3 and 1/4 " inch web they were like pinks they size of them

yes-- had me wondering as well. With just a quick search I found a few things that will illustrate the difference in size between thier herring and ours.

There are progressive morphological differences north to south in pacific herring. Herring from California may have fewer vertebra than Alaska fish-- hence smaller at maturity. Generally the Alaskan herring are older and grow slower -- makes sense with the cold water they live in. Younger fish tend to make up the bulk of the population in BC. Generally an 8 yr old herring here is a really old *******, and they get rarer the older they get. In Alaska over 30% of thier spawners are older than 10 years and they live over 17 years. In Ak the big fish hit the spawning grounds first. Thier 4-6 yr fish dont get harvested as heavily as our smaller and younger herring.

And one other thing I noticed.. The camera gave us good close-up shots of the gillnet boats which fish selectively for large fish ( large fish= more roe = more money )

Didnt really get the same closeups of the larger seiners, so hard to get a true picture of what the differences (if any) were in the size of the two catches.

Had to shake my head at the large number of sole ,flounders and other critters that were shovelled over the stern --dead. But its like that in a whole bunch of other commercial fisheries too.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

The sad part is that for the most part they only get 8-9% recovery of these fish. If they are brine frozen they are pretty much useless due to the high salt content. That is a lot of biomass taken out of the ocean for some eggs to be sold to Japan. The bicatch is terrible though. Sad to see so many fish being dumped so unceremoniously.

Gotta love the "Time Bandit" crew. Sit back and watch the mayhem, load up with the catch, then head in and cash in. Then go back for more. Seemed like a lot of work for the working boats with very little reward. LMAO at the 19 year old skipper. Snowboarding and herring fishing don't mix.:D eman

Hey cube.
If the herring are like most (but not all) fish, than they will be pretty much the same size. They probably stay together in a age bracket giving them a similar size. Or they could travel in a size bracket.

Back