bringing Canadian fish back through Point Roberts?

fishingthepoint

I moored my boat in Pt Roberts and have heard there might be issues coming back into Canada after catching fish in Canadian waters...anyone heard how that is supposed to work? Tight lines.
Tobias

Never heard of any such regulation and in any case you can use your GPS track to prove where they were caught

Never heard of any such regulation and in any case you can use your GPS track to prove where they were caught
I went thru this in the early 80’s before I moved to Tofino.

There’s no gps tracks to show when your boat is back at the marina

I moored my boat in Pt Roberts and have heard there might be issues coming back into Canada after catching fish in Canadian waters...anyone heard how that is supposed to work? Tight lines.
Tobias
It was common pre Covid for Canadians to moor their boats in Point Roberts Marina and fish in Canada. Knowing some of the boats and owners, it was routine and if immigration rules were followed e.g. no contact, then it seemed all was good. Fish were brought into Canada this way. Not aware of any customs issues that arose from bringing in sport caught fish. Maybe check with CBSA?

What you may wish to consider is what would happen if you are checked by Washington State Game wardens in state waters. In Washington waters, current state regulations apply, such as closed seasons, legal size, gear (crab trap laws).

A friend was boarded while anchored fishing off Point Roberts in US waters by DHS and I believe F&G. Questioned at gunpoint. Boat was subsequently sold by my friend after this experience. Couple of years back another friend caught fish legally in Alaskan waters and returned to Canada, landing in Prince Rupert. He was met on landing by DFO and charged for possession of fish for which the season was closed in Canada. They chose not to believe his statement about where he caught the fish.

Point is, the USA is a different country with its own set of rules.

Back