braided cable

fytfire

Just wondering if anyone has any new tricks for keeping the release clips from sliding up the braided downrigger line. I installed the new scotty auto stop beads wich works well when fishing one rod but when a second rod is added and I'm varying my depths I find it a pain to lean out over the boat to attach them. Any ideas would be great thank you.:)

Not sure if you have tried this but I put rubber on the clip.Its that stuff you use for slingshots i think its surgical tubing maybe? You slide it on that middle piece thats springy and bent.Helps fraying as well but i am not sure how effective it is on braided havent tried it yet but will this weekend.

I don't think my method is a new one as I heard about it on this board but I'm using a few dabs of crazy glue on my clips. Doesn't last forever but I only had to reglue them twice this season which I can live with.

I think some folks also mentioned using the softer brass crimp on stops...

fytfire,

When I have a problem with a release clip sliding, I take pliers and bend that middle piece "out" and it will grab the line a lot firmer. Seems to do the trick for me, even on my Power Pro braided line which is thiner and pretty slick.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Is 100 lb test strong enough to run on scotty electrics ?

In my opinion no. I always ran 150lb on the steel cable and I'm running 200lb Power Pro braided now. 100lb just seems to light to me but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

fytfire,

When I have a problem with a release clip sliding, I take pliers and bend that middle piece "out" and it will grab the line a lot firmer. Seems to do the trick for me, even on my Power Pro braided line which is thiner and pretty slick.
Im trying to picture this but am drawing a blank. Could you try and explain a bit more for us that are a bit slow. Thanks

Kelly,

Wow, hard to explain without a photo but I'll try.

When you squeeze the metal clip together to attach it to the cable, the single piece of metal will move up and down. You have to squeeze it together to snap it on the cable. On that piece that moves, take your pliers and near the end, bend it straight out away from the rest of the clip some. Needle nose pliers are best for this. Once you've bent it out a little, see it if fits tight on the cable without sliding. Keep bending it out a little at a time until you get the snug fit you're looking for.

Hope this makes sense. Hard to explain in words without something to pint at.

Is 100 lb test strong enough to run on scotty electrics ?

anybody ???

I run 200 lb powerpro on my electrics. I'm thinking that the 100 lb would work for a while but would eventually fray and snap off. Considering the price of lead, it's better to use the 200 lb.

I noticed that Tyee Marine in Campbell R. has a spool of 200 lb powerpro (300 yards) for about $80. This would be enough for 3 or 4 downriggers and would be not that hard on the wallet.

Help.. I have been using the auto shut off beads to stop my clips from working up the line but tonight I went to test the gear for the big chum derby and when running four rods It is almost impossible to attached the shut off beads when you have one rod in the water I have also added the rubber hose and even tried bending the metal frams but I still cant solve this anyone have any ideas??

Help.. I have been using the auto shut off beads to stop my clips from working up the line but tonight I went to test the gear for the big chum derby and when running four rods It is almost impossible to attached the shut off beads when you have one rod in the water I have also added the rubber hose and even tried bending the metal frams but I still cant solve this anyone have any ideas??

Sorry I will try to explain. I install the new scotty auto shut off beads on my line to stop the clips from sliding up but when running four rods how do you install the beads onto your line for the second rod with the weight of the gear and cannon ball its hard to attach them. the first rod is easy because its at the cannon ball but the second one can be at varying depths.

Sorry I will try to explain. I install the new scotty auto shut off beads on my line to stop the clips from sliding up but when running four rods how do you install the beads onto your line for the second rod with the weight of the gear and cannon ball its hard to attach them. the first rod is easy because its at the cannon ball but the second one can be at varying depths.

RVP Thanx for the reply I really appreciate it all makes sense to me now LOL I need to put my thinking cap on before I start asking questions. cheers[:I]

RVP Thanx for the reply I really appreciate it all makes sense to me now LOL I need to put my thinking cap on before I start asking questions. cheers[:I]

Back