Bottom Painting

Explorer682

I am thinking of having my bottom paint redone this season , does anyone have recommendations as to a place to get it done. Sidney to Sooke . 26’ Fiberglass , moored 10 months a year and I have a trailer.

I am thinking of having my bottom paint redone this season , does anyone have recommendations as to a place to get it done. Sidney to Sooke . 26’ Fiberglass , moored 10 months a year and I have a trailer.
I had mine done at Blackline in Sidney, back in November.

What’s size boat and how much$$
23'. I had other work done, so I'll find the invoice and get back to you.

Update: bottom painting was lumped with other items, so I'm requesting a breakdown for sanding, spot painting and a full coat - its some part of $1200, probably less than $800.

Alternative - call Blackline, speak to Matt @ 250 656-6616.

Last edited:
23'. I had other work done, so I'll find the invoice and get back to you.

Update: bottom painting was lumped with other items, so I'm requesting a breakdown for sanding, spot painting and a full coat - its some part of $1200, probably less than $800.

Alternative - call Blackline, speak to Matt @ 250 656-6616.
Matt estimates $1000 +/- for a 26 delivered on a trailer.

Thanks , that's about what I figured . Not cheap. I have zero motivation to take that one on myself so I will reach out to them.

Not hard to do yourself in the driveway on the trailer if you have rollers on the trailer. Get one of those roller things that mechanics use that you can slide around under the boat on your back. Power wash and do your sanding prep. and then paint it everywhere except obviously under the rollers. Let it dry and then adjust the boat position on the trailer a little so that the area that was covered by the rollers is now exposed and finish it off. The whole job should only take a few hours and the cost of the paint and some sandpaper.

yuk...I do the majority of things myself but that one doesn't make the list, I will have a beer in hand a gladly pay someone for that ugly job. I have a brand new Tuff bunker trailer and last thing I want is bottom paint al over that, why to much prep work involved for this guy.

Blackline does very good work, there are others that may be cheaper ie Sherwood marine, Phillbrooks @Van Isle is another spot

Jenkins just re-did my 21’ for $550 before tax. And had it done in 3 days.

I had Jenkins redo my 25’ boat and it was around $4,000. A lot of the costs add up depending on how clean you want the bottom to be before you apply the new coat and how many old coats have to be remover. I also had them epoxy my bottom before the bottom paint was applied. They did good work tho

That's amazing. I saw the bill for my boat (campion 542) at parksville boathouse $2000!? Was done just before I bought it.
On a new boat they have to sand the entire bottom to rough it up to accept the bottom paint. Usually 3 coats of bottom paint after that. If it is already painted then a quick sand with 80 grit and 1 or 2 coats good for 2 years with CSC Micron. If you do your drives its more complicated and tedious using different product. This is one reason why you are seeing different prices. I do my own 30 footer in about 4 hours with $500 of product. It is a messy job and you need full protection and respirator.

On a new boat they have to sand the entire bottom to rough it up to accept the bottom paint. Usually 3 coats of bottom paint after that. If it is already painted then a quick sand with 80 grit and 1 or 2 coats good for 2 years with CSC Micron. If you do your drives its more complicated and tedious using different product. This is one reason why you are seeing different prices. I do my own 30 footer in about 4 hours with $500 of product. It is a messy job and you need full protection and respirator.
Ahh that makes more sense, thanks!

yuk...I do the majority of things myself but that one doesn't make the list, I will have a beer in hand a gladly pay someone for that ugly job. I have a brand new Tuff bunker trailer and last thing I want is bottom paint al over that, why to much prep work involved for this guy.
We have done that job several times on a 22 foot boat. Not that ugly a job really unless it has been left to long/sitting unused in the chuck and has an inch or two of thick heavy marine growth, then its a Pita even with the pressure washer. With long handled sanding poles you can do most of the sanding while standing up and for that part of it you need an N95 half mask respirator. The bottom paint dust is a little toxic.

Last edited:
any good places in Vancouver area to get paint done on a new hull ? Quoted $3500 at dealer or $100 ft in North Van...24' hull..

any good places in Vancouver area to get paint done on a new hull ? Quoted $3500 at dealer or $100 ft in North Van...24' hull..
You can arange at Lions Gate Marina. Price all depends on your current bottom. You need to pay for haul out, power wash, and storage. It cost a $1000 for my 30’. labour and materials but not haul out. I had other work done so was part of that.

Back