Boat Survey/Inspection Results

Rockfish

Boat Survey/Inspection Results

During my last boat survey/inspection for the insurance company; four things were identified for correction. I am curious what others are getting in the way of recommendations from their inspections as it could be useful to learn what to look for from a saftey perspective and I am curious what they are concentrating on.

In my case they did not like:

1. A slightly loose thru hull bronze fitting (you could turn it with some effort) which they advised be rebeded and tightened. Had all three below waterline bronze thru hulls replaced with new ones and one capped and also replaced two bronze seacocks. Overkill perhaps as they appeared to be in pretty good condition.

2. Wiring for the bilge pumps down low in the bilge needed to be gathered up and attached/suspended higher up in the bilge.

3. They did not like that someone had previously zap strapped the wires for one of the bilge pumps directly to one of the fuel lines which was attached to the side of the bilge. Solution was to cut them off and install separate attachment clips in the bilge for the bilge pump wires.

4. That corrosion be removed from the underside of the gas filler cap assembly and the static discharge ground wire attached to it and the ground confirmed. Good catch on their part and hard to even see this. They must have got their head up under the gunnel with a flashlight. Did not even mess with trying to clean corrosion from the gas filler assembly and bought a brand new one and had the mechanic install it.

That was it and very happy the Transom and Stringers were determined to be good.

What are they finding on others boats?

Last edited by a moderator:
haha,, this is a good thread for sure

mine...

Double up on Stainless gear clamps on all through hull fittings below water line.
i laughed at this one,,, replace wing nuts on battery posts.. by the way these wing nuts are wrench tight..wtf was that about?

that was it.. had to do this get proper insured amount, otherwise if i had a total loss i would only get what i payed for it.. this improved my insured amount by another 30k!!!!

Carbon monoxide detector installed in cabin, had to put insulating caps over the unused positive terminals of both batteries, (got them for free at Battery Direct) replaced one nylon thru hull at waterline (for porta-potti pump out) with bronze. That was it for the survey. Transport Canada wants signage for all seacocks, fuel lines and fuel valves. I added those and a few more while I was having them made. No smoking in cabin, and don't touch screen X 2 . Everyone touches my sounder screens when they ask what the marks indicate. Was getting tired of telling them not to touch the screens.

I know this is an old thread but just had a few questions...
I have a survey required soon for insurance purposes. (to re-insure)
When the surveyor finds things to fix, how do you let the surveyor know when they are done? Does he need to re-inspect or could /can you send him a pic showing the work done or something to that effect? I may need to bring a surveyor in from out of town... reason for that question...
What kind of money should a person expect to pay for a survey for insurance purposes?

I know this is an old thread but just had a few questions...
I have a survey required soon for insurance purposes. (to re-insure)
When the surveyor finds things to fix, how do you let the surveyor know when they are done? Does he need to re-inspect or could /can you send him a pic showing the work done or something to that effect? I may need to bring a surveyor in from out of town... reason for that question...
What kind of money should a person expect to pay for a survey for insurance purposes?

It's typically $500, and I would ask that question of your insurance company. Typically they don't need a surveyor to inspect your repairs.
There are different types of surveys, insurance are the least detailed.

In my case the insurance company wanted both a copy of the survey and a written statement that you have made the necessary repairs or upgrades.

It turned out that on number three of the issues the surveyor found, it was not the bilge pump wires but rather the resistance circuit going to the fuel sender unit that was strapped to a fuel line.

Re: the fuel cap assembly the surveyor was wrong, it was not corrosion, just white sikaflex. I still have it to prove it was changed. It was still a good idea to change it as it was original and old and with time they can start to let in spay and rain water past the seal/threads and you can end up with water in the tank.

Last edited:
Just had mine "out of water" inspected for insurance purposes after 5 years. This
time 100%. Last time...carbon monoxide dectector/radar reflector/wing nuts on battery. Sent prof of purchase with pictures of items installed + signed that work had been done. Both times surveyer sent copy of his report to insurance. This time it cost $330 and he came from out of area.

Back