Boat ownership

Peahead

I have a boat that has both my name and my ex- wifes name as owners on the pleasure craft licence. When I got my commercial licence during the marriage, it somehow ended up only showing me as having ownership . When I cancelled my commercial licence a few years later, I was told by FOC/CG I did not have to re-apply for new pleasure licence but that my licence would revert back to my old pleasure K # I had before. Hence, she was back listed on the original K licence as part owner.

Upon my seperation in 2006 I bought her half of the boat ( the cheaper half, without the motor - lol) . Our legal Seperation Agreement states that this was our wishes and she of course agreed to releasing the ownership to me for the money I paid. I paid her at that time and she has no problem handing over ownership but I just never got around to doing that part, officially. I just have forgotten to deal with it for a few years now. Due to her recent involvement with a guy who loves to fish ( and doesn't have a boat !!), I am getting concerned that I should get this done just for piece of mind and if I want to sell the boat. Despite our sep agreement stating that I own the boat, I want the vessel licence to not include her name.

Anybody delt with this recently ? Can I get her name dropped just by providing sep agreement proof ? Does she need to sign a form to release her interest ? I will call the licencoing office but just wanted to see if someone here has any tips first. Thx!

By the sounds of it, I think you would need her signature somewhere...

If he likes to fish, maybe leave her at home, and take him out to pay half your fuel, and swap stories [:0]

quote:Originally posted by lazoman

By the sounds of it, I think you would need her signature somewhere...

If he likes to fish, maybe leave her at home, and take him out to pay half your fuel, and swap stories [:0]

LOL
...I was thinking maybe he'd pay the whole fuel bill, - then I'd swap stories :D

Thanks r.s. I did go down to Service Canada this aft. and found things relatively strait forward except that despite me showing them the seperation agreement they insisted they have proof from my ex-wife that she was aware of what the seperation agreement said. They wanted a statement from her that she agreed with the transfere of the boat into my name only. Odd since the Sep agreement had all that in it !!!
I got her down there 1/2 hr later and she gave the statement in favour of the transfere , showed ID and it was done. They never even asked her to sign anything .

I thought it was very odd that despite a signed legal seperation agreement was in place and presented, Service Canada still wanted her to just verbally ok it.
Odd that the seperation agreement ( that is a legal document) wasn't enough. I am not sure how well that practice would work if your ex wife was hard to get along with and just refused to make a statement just for the heck of it !!
I mean for goodness sakes- it says right in the agreement that she gives up all rights to the boat ( and the agreement is signed! )

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

I have closed my charter business as of last Dec. Have tried to cancell my commercial registration. 3 months now and still waiting, any time you phone they return the call about 1 to 2 weeks later. faxed in all my info 2 weeks ago and still nothing. If they don't get back to me they can kiss my rosy butt I am going to keep all my faxed info emails etc on my boat for when I get checked:(

><))))">

Hi Jackel :

I faxed my request for cancellation and got a TC Registry of Ships stamped Certificate of cancellation mailed to me within days. The cancellation Certificate and letter was written the day I faxed my request.

Here is what worked for me:

Faxed a request to cancel the commercial licence along with a copy of the commercial Licence as well as the signature(s) of vessel owners. I think I also included copies of both owners drivers licenses.

I requested that TC send me back a written confirmation that my licence was cancelled so that I could go ahead with re-licencing the vessel as a pleasure craft.

I faxed my cancellation to Kathy Desjardins at Transport Canada Saftey and Security "Registry of Ships" at 613-998-0637

Mailing address:

Transport canada
Saftey and Security
Tower C, Place de Ville
11th Floor
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa Ontario
K1A)0N8

The Name/address/fax number are a bit old now but likely still valid.

FYI : When you then go to register your boat as a pleasure craft you should provide a copy of the cancelled commercial licence or they may want you to pay tax on the boat. Ultimately if you have proof that you paid sales tax on the boat when you bought it - send them a copy. I happened to have my original tax reciept that I got after I registerd the boat the first time and paid Provincial tax ( purchased it privately/used - I provided a copy of the reciept so they wouldn't try to grab tax again !

Back