Boat Ownership Transfer

FisherTim

What is the proper procedure for relicensing a Small vessel?

I have a complete bill of sale, what else do I need to Register it (new BC-XXXXXX, or XX-K-XXXXX Number), and for that to go over as smoothly as possible?

I did this a few months ago. The Transport Canada website tells you what you need, bill of sale is the key thing. Remember in this application, there are specific meanings to words most of us use interchangeably:
- licence: this applies to the boat itself, required for anything 10 hp and up, FREE. You can keep the existing XX-K-XXXXXX numbers and transfer to your name, new boat name (if applicable) and contact info.
- registration: again, boat-based. Not mandatory for pleasure craft, fees apply.
- operator card (PCOC): this is for individuals, basically we all need to have this for operating a powered pleasure craft.

Finally, whilst you're doing some paperwork, take a few minutes extra and fill out the online form at Industry Canada for an MMSI for your VHF radio. This is a free service and it could potentially save your life, yet it's estimated that half of Canadian marine radios don't have MMSI registered.

Back