Boat Food

Need a taste tester?

GLG

Now that is a smoker! Love it. Is it an industrial smoker or a converted fridge box? Looks like it will hold a pound or two of meat. Nice:cool:

DAMN that looks good too bad you live way up there!!!!!!
always like to try new peps.

Good work Wolf

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Been making sausage for about 30 years off and on and finally have the time and the smoker to do it easily. The smoker is made out of an old medical fridge-probably 1950/60-so the interior was all metal. I took the 220 burner off a stove(acquired from sears-gratis) and my son-in-law mounted it in an electrical box wired it for 220 then put a 220 circuit to the back of the shop (he's an electrician) complete with a good rheostat for temp control to maintain the higher temps needed for sausage-yet I can smoke salmon at the lower temps too. Only thing I'm missing is a good commercial grinder in the 1/2 to 3/4 hp range. If anybody has one to sell let me know please. If anyone wants to have a go at making sausage let me know and I will give you all the info and recipes you need

spring fever, just may take you up on that in the future, have always wanted to make some sausage and peperoni, only have a big chief smoker, but it should do it i think.

Regards,
Jay

You could make it work by smoking your sausage to get the flavour and then finishing it in an oven to make sure your internal temp was held at 160. I don't know how hot a little chief gets but for smoked sausage that you are going to eat without cooking you have to be able to maintain an internal temp of 160 F-slightly lower if you are using all beef. Still even I use that method if I am making large chubs that are 3 or 4 inches thick and I want to be sure that the internal temp is there. It is a lot of fun and at least you know what was put in your sausage and like smoked salmon you make it to your own taste and it is usually better than commercial. Certainly be glad to help in any way.

So is that beef or game meat your doing??As Ive got access to a huge smoker with a wood stove about 10 ft from the brick house which does awsome salmon.
I ask cause if you have already done game before you might have already made the mistakes that I would probablly do LOL LOL
thanks in advance

Wolf

Yes I have done all kinds of game as I used to hunt a lot when I was stationed in Moose Jaw. Now I usually watch the specials and do mostly pork,deer or beef and occaisionally if I can get pork belly's cheap enough-bacon. Best piece of advise is make sure you have as little game fat as possible in you sausage (carries the gamey taste and also has a very low melt point which coats your teeth) . Go at least 60% game and 40% fatty pork (not straight fat) and use a good binder such as soy protein(there are others). If you don't use a binder your sausage will be dry because you will cook all the fat and juice away and there goes the flavor. Other than that it becomes a matter of personal tastes. I have many diffent recipes which can be adapted and of course the most fun is once you've mixed up the meat with a bunch of buds-is frying it and deciding is it hot enough,sweet enough, need some more ginger. Oh, hey pass me another brewski svp! LOL

SWEET Smoker SF!
I very much like the size and versatility!

For meat grinders I would suggest this one: http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=6383&src=Shopzilla&cam=Products&kw=6383

We went through a series of these electric grinders before finding this one. It has now munched it's way through ~ 20 fallow Deer, 8 blacktails, a moose and an elk. The over-sized motor is THE deal! Powerful and reliable, I can highly recommend this one!
And, if you look around, they can be found for less than 2 hundred!

Cheers,
Nog

Attachments

• mg800.jpg
    mg800.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 15
LOL... I am really not too sure of what yous is talkin about? :confused:

The best boat food I have found is gas.....plain an simple

Hey nog-that looks like it might do. How fast would it grind up 20lbs of meat? I'm not worried about the stuffing part of it as I have a pro. stuffer from Italy. If you hear of one let me know plse. Hey LR you gotta tell stories on the boat sometime and a pepperoni and brewski might make the price of gas seem a little better and it ain't burning nada at anchor.

Hey nog-that looks like it might do. How fast would it grind up 20lbs of meat? I'm not worried about the stuffing part of it as I have a pro. stuffer from Italy...

It will literally grind it as fast as you can feed the machine. Quickest one (and strongest) I've ever used. Sausage function works right well too. Best off to buy new rather than inherit someone else's issues methinks. And at that price, it ain't too tough.

Cheers,
Nog

Back