Big Qualicum Coho notice and gear changes

bgillard

FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
FISHERY NOTICE
(BIG QUALICUM RIVER 2013)

POSSESSION AND GEAR RESTRICTIONS AND OPEN AREAS - Salmon

Open areas ( see gear restrictions and salmon possession limits by species below ):

Aug 1 – Dec 1 The pool above the upper weir (approx 75m downstream of the E&N Railway bridge) to the Horn Lake Dam.

Oct 16 - Dec 31 The pool from the Hatchery counting fence to approx 75m down stream to boundary signs at Qualicum First Nations Reserve Lands.

Closures:
No fishing from Hatchery counting fence to the Hwy 19A bridge Aug 10 – Oct 15.

From the Reserve boundary below the Big Qualicum hatchery downstream to the highway 19A bridge Jan 1- Dec 31.

Downstream of the E&N Railway bridge Dec 1 to June 15.

From the Hatchery counting fence downstream to the Qualicum First Nation Reserve, from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise Oct 16 to Nov 30.

Fishing in or Near Government Facilities - There is no fishing below the top river weir located approximately 75 meters downstream of the railway trestle, to down stream of the Hatchery counting fence on the Big Qualicum River.

Gear:
Fly fishing only September 1 to October 15. (Artificial fly only - no floats, sinkers or attracting devices may be attached to the line)

From Horne Lake Dam to E&N railway bridge, artificial fly only Oct 16 to Aug 31.

Chum - Oct 1 – Nov 30, the daily limit of chum salmon is One (1) per day in the Big Qualicum River. Minimum size limit of 30 cm.

Chinook - Aug 1 - Oct 15, the daily limit of Chinook is four (4) less then 62cm, Hatchery or Wild. Oct 16 - Dec 31, the daily limit of Chinook is four (4) of which only two (2) may be over 62 cm Hatchery or Wild

Coho – Oct 16 Possession is four (4) only two (2) of which may be over 35 cm Hatchery or Wild.

Pink/Sockeye - Possession is zero (0). Pink fishing opportunities will be assessed.

Notes:
Your limit of salmon is 4 per day of the aggregate (combined) allowable catch.

Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal and non-tidal waters of British Columbia.

The term "hatchery marked" means a fish that has a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.
You must hold a licence to fish fresh water in British Columbia.

Report all violations 24 hours a day to
1-800-465-4336

Please note we are opening coho tomorrow. Also note the Provincial changes in your synopsis highlighted in blue on page 19. Above the E&N railway bridge is now artificial fly only. You don't have to use a fly rod, but you can't use spoons or spinners. You can see the definition of artificial fly on page 88 of your provincial guide.

You can still use spoons and spinners in the pool below the hatchery to the reserve and in the pool above the hatchery to the E&N bridge.

This change was made in consultation with the Fisheries advisory council.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer
Comox

Should be bumper crop, lots bouncing around mouth. You can thank FFRAC process for opening up river to more opportunities for all anglers regardless of gear type. Nice to see the "fly only" gone so a wider group of anglers including kids can get out and try their luck and develop a passion for fishing.

I think kids can develop a love for fishing with out chucking gear small river systems. No offense to gear chuckers as I am one. Its a nice thought teaching the kids... but I think to many people will take advantage of this. I guess im a little skeptical, I see it as it as way for all the gear chucker snaggers to pass on there ethics to there kids. Funny how some actually think flossing is fishing. One of my favorite days fishing was beside a kid around 10 teaching himself to fly fish on little Q a couple years ago. Hard to learn bad ethics with a fly rod. Its hard as hell but its not always about catching anyway.

I think kids can develop a love for fishing with out chucking gear small river systems. No offense to gear chuckers as I am one. Its a nice thought teaching the kids... but I think to many people will take advantage of this. I guess im a little skeptical, I see it as it as way for all the gear chucker snaggers to pass on there ethics to there kids. Funny how some actually think flossing is fishing. One of my favorite days fishing was beside a kid around 10 teaching himself to fly fish on little Q a couple years ago. Hard to learn bad ethics with a fly rod. Its hard as hell but its not always about catching anyway.

You can floss with a fly rod. It is the anglers intent that determines a flossed fish, not just the gear.

When you stop in at the hatchery, they'll give you the numbers. The e-mail with the numbers isn't in yet this morning.

I just don't get it. Why is it that we equate gear guys with snagging? Transgressions of Ethics cross gear types in my experience. Having raised 3 boys, I can tell you it is far easier to teach a kid how to start fishing with a casting rod as opposed to a fly rod. Once they get the basics and experience some success they progress from there. The ethics part is our responsibility to teach and pass along to the next generation.

I just don't get it. Why is it that we equate gear guys with snagging? Transgressions of Ethics cross gear types in my experience. Having raised 3 boys, I can tell you it is far easier to teach a kid how to start fishing with a casting rod as opposed to a fly rod. Once they get the basics and experience some success they progress from there. The ethics part is our responsibility to teach and pass along to the next generation.

Gear guys aren't the only guys that snag or floss but lets be honest, you don't see guys with fly rods flinging treble hooks and using spark plugs as weights. I use gear all the time or fly if its fly only but lets be honest if sooke river was open to gear fishing it would nuts shoulder to shoulder with red necks ripping boots out of the pools.

X2 Searun.. I'm all for equal opportunity. Flyfishermen can cast weighted line/flies and snag/floss away all day long, just as effectively as a gear rod. The regs shouldn't be made to govern the stereotype that gear fishermen are a bunch of red necks snagging fish. I enjoy both styles of fishing and think fly only water is often unfair as it's taking away from opportunities..... What exactly is the purpose of the fly water? Is it really protecting anything? Enforcement and ethics problems shouldn't result in a guy with a fly rod being allowed to fish more water than someone with a baitcaster.

not all gear guys are redneck snaggers - but all redneck snaggers use gear. And yes I've seen the spey fishermen on the stamp with 20 foot + leaders flossing coho, they are more subtle.

Back