Best trolling rod…

BATTLEGLASScopy_dabe8720-2b25-43ba-8997-6fca85f872ec_630x.png

Kufa downrigger rods - good value for the $$
PNT used to carry them for $70/piece. With Covid tax added, probably sells in the $90-100 range if you can find them.

I got a couple of 8.5' Shimanos cheap as part of a Cabelas rod-and-reel-combination deal about 15 years ago, and they're still going strong. They were a very good deal.

I guess that brings up a good follow up. Length. The rods I am using are 10.5. But is there any advantage to that? Should I switch to 9’s? Sometimes the longer rods are a pain, but if less likely to lose fish, I’d stick with them.

9’ rods work fine for the type of salmon fishing that we do on the south coast. Especially if you fish solo, they make it easier to handle the fish. I’m using 10’ 6 rods right now and miss my Kufa”s on my solo fishing days.

I guess that brings up a good follow up. Length. The rods I am using are 10.5. But is there any advantage to that? Should I switch to 9’s? Sometimes the longer rods are a pain, but if less likely to lose fish, I’d stick with them.
9' arent bad but I prefer a 10'6 so there's more pressure on the hook set and when fighting the fish.

I got a couple of 8.5' Shimanos cheap as part of a Cabelas rod-and-reel-combination deal about 15 years ago, and they're still going strong. They were a very good deal.
In my opinion, long rods are for bigger boats. If you are fishing in a boat less that 20', I would stick with the shorter rods. I prefer a little stiffer rod which makes it easier to control the fish, especially when dealing with pinks. No need to spend a lot of money. Any good fishing shop like Island Outfitter in Victoria will have lots to choose from.

When attempting to net a salmon solo, there is a huge difference between 10'6 rods and 9'0 (maybe 9'6 at a stretch). The longer rods are more forgiving, but keep that tip up high and a shorter but decent quality rod will deliver. I was successfully fighting and boating/releasing teener-low 20s springs with a 6'6" Trevala jigging rod most of July. Really highlighted the advantage of a short rod when using the net one handed.

Back