BC First Nations want right to kill salmon-snatc

Fish Assassin

Yes I lost my cool and obviously stirred the pot. But check out my past posts I would hardly say I am troll.

When you are food fishing this afternoon I hope you are going to be fishing in the traditional manner that your fore fathers did!

If there are no salmon for the next generation yes us whitey's contributed to the present day low stocks. But once we could see the stock were on a major decline we had the sense the pressure we put on this resource.

I will say this you can call me ignorant and un educated take all the shots you want. But you have a sad outlook that it is your right to fish untill all the fish are gone just because you are a native and you were here first. I would love you to explain that to your grandchildren or thier grand children when they ask you what a salmon looks like.

Yes I agree we should do something with the seals! But if the natives are not going to follow the laws in place how can they expect the law to protect them when they need it to.

Enjoy those sockeye you are a true steward of the land.

I have a great idea!
nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Well you’re barking up the wrong tree guys I don't fish Sockeye although I could. It will be easy to tell my grandchildren where the salmon went... I will point to the refitted seiner that doubles as a sight seeing boat. And tell them one of those boats used to take as many fish in 1 day as our whole tribe took in a year. Craven, I said that if a sporty is fishing a particular stock that means it is open to us! Closed for all... fine with that.

Jimmy says 'When you are food fishing this afternoon I hope you are going to be fishing in the traditional manner that you’re fore fathers did!'

No problem Jimmy my tribe was an intercepting tribe and we used to troll for salmon. I will use a canoe and old style hooks as soon as you replace the fish to those historic levels.

Jimmy...
"If there are no salmon for the next generation yes us whitey's contributed to the present day low stocks. But once we could see the stock were on a major decline we had the sense the pressure we put on this resource."

What exactly are you trying to say? The only reason the stocks are the way they are is because of over fishing by the commercial fleets. DFO should have listened to us in the meetings time and time again when we tried to tell them not to open for commercial fisheries. But industry has a stronger say in the management of our stocks then us Natives do.

In regards to the boldt decision... What does a Treaty signed by the US & Washington state tribes have to do with us...? A group who signed a treaty with the Crown, before Canada was even a Country. The fact of the matter is that Canada should have dealt with us and our treaty long ago rather than leaving it on the books the way that it still is. The fact that Canada must uphold the integrity of the Crown in regards to our treaty really puts them at a disadvantage when trying to limit our access. The only rules applicable in our case are to hunt and fish as formally.

FYI I do troll for my salmon just like the rest of you guys, some days good others .. Well it’s nice just to be out on the water. Other days the only fish I hook all day gets taken by a big fat seal....[xx(]

Just figured it out did you ?
Well spoken , well read and knows what he is talking about , sentence structure and composition are bang on from posts over a year ago ....
good eye r.s.

AL

there is to munch pcp in the meat that makes it un safe to eat .what comes from the white man.and i am a white man .the white is just as much falt .with are greed.(Greed will kill us all)

PCP is addictive—its repeated abuse can lead to craving and compulsive PCP-seeking behavior, despite severe adverse consequences.

maybe that explains why I like to fish so much and we all fish the stocks to extinction. [:p]

Yeah, I have a really hard time beleiving anyone has "rights" to anything here on earth. James Douglas or not. Our ancestors were limited by thier knowledge of things period. Times are a changing and we can't hold onto antiquated ideas of endless supply.
They didn't even think in terms of conservation at the time of treaty signings. No body would ever beleive it was anything but an endless supply. We know better now and everybody needs to adapt.

WE are all here. White , yellow, brown, black. We were all native somewhere on this earth. It's time we band together and get over whose at fault. The commercial guys ( as warm hearted as they are, families and all. And I mean that will the utmost respect)cannot continue to clean the ocean of all it's bounty. I'm not necessarily talking just about the mom and pop outfits either. Check out those mulitnational freezer rigs going on out there. Just like clearcutting.It can only sustain itself for so long. Nets are just to productive! Keep fishing like that and there will be no fish to work for. End up having to find another job anyway. Lets try to figure a way to harvest these fish in a more sensitive manner rather than stripping the sea.

Back