Bayliner 285 flybridge planning problem

That engine (if it's a mercruiser D4.2L) should be able to reach 3,400 to 3,600 rpm at WOT. If not, now that the bottoms been cleaned it's probably overloaded and needs to lose some weight. Or as others have mentioned go down in prop pitch and/or a 4 blade prop would prob help for more bite. I'd also remove the air filter and check the turbo to make sure it spins freely, no broken blades, tight housing clearance (no housing corrosion) etc... replacing fuel filters if they haven't been done in awhile wouldn't hurt also...
Those engines usually sip fuel and are very efficient, especially at the lower rpm's. And usually virtually smokeless which is nice. The odd one has been known to break (snap) the crankshaft at the balancer so check the balancer every once in awhile and make sure no rubber is protruding. (the thin rubber strip that joins the heavy rings...) They usually snap at high rpm's if it's going to snap. I'd want to make sure my marine insurance policy covered engine replacement in that respect if running that engine often at close to WOT. Just saying... My opinion is that the crankshaft is designed a bit light in that area. Compared to a Cummins, the differences are night and day.

Agreed! Likely a great power plant for a lighter boat but those 285s are huge tanks and really need at least a 370hp diesel
Its really a marketing game because the only thing that motor has in common with a Cummins is the common rail fuel system.......
Cummins dosent even list any parts for that engine, unfortunately many people (including my buddy) thought they were buying a boat with a Cummins diesel not a hybrid BMW
I must give the motor some credit though because my buddy has run his @ 3400 rpm ( only way it will stay on plane) for over 300hrs without any engine failures, so far.....the B3 however is another story and been replaced every 100hrs:eek:

That engine (if it's a mercruiser D4.2L) should be able to reach 3,400 to 3,600 rpm at WOT. If not, now that the bottoms been cleaned it's probably overloaded and needs to lose some weight. Or as others have mentioned go down in prop pitch and/or a 4 blade prop would prob help for more bite. I'd also remove the air filter and check the turbo to make sure it spins freely, no broken blades, tight housing clearance (no housing corrosion) etc... replacing fuel filters if they haven't been done in awhile wouldn't hurt also...
Those engines usually sip fuel and are very efficient, especially at the lower rpm's. And usually virtually smokeless which is nice. The odd one has been known to break (snap) the crankshaft at the balancer so check the balancer every once in awhile and make sure no rubber is protruding. (the thin rubber strip that joins the heavy rings...) They usually snap at high rpm's if it's going to snap. I'd want to make sure my marine insurance policy covered engine replacement in that respect if running that engine often at close to WOT. Just saying... My opinion is that the crankshaft is designed a bit light in that area. Compared to a Cummins, the differences are night and day.

Thanks bigdogeh
We are pulling the boat out Friday to add larger trim tabs. I'll check the air filter and turbo then.

Update...my buddy had cv marine pull the boat out (great guys) and on advice from cv marine put on 30" trim tabs, these things are huge! Lol.
What a difference! Night and day! The butt pops right out of the water and planes very quickly now. We hit 25mph in no time at 3100rpm. Still not enough rpm so having the turbo tested later this week and if it checks out its gotta be the prop.

put the boat on a diet aswell, weight is huge factor... i consider my boat powered well, but after i went through from stem to stern and removed approx 300 lbs of excess crap, emptied a water tank that didnt need to store water, i got the performance back.

put the boat on a diet aswell, weight is huge factor... i consider my boat powered well, but after i went through from stem to stern and removed approx 300 lbs of excess crap, emptied a water tank that didnt need to store water, i got the performance back.

Yes I agree. He still has a 2 stroke 9.9 on the back for the dingy.I think that needs to be gone or put up front some how. Also come to think of it he has like 8 batteries in the back! Those should be moved.

Back