bass fishing

Most of the males are protecting nests with fry in them right now. Depends on water temp tho. Quennell lake will probably be done the spawn as will Beaver. But Shawnigan and Elk are on the tail end. Expect any other larger fish to be in post spawn. Smaller fish (below 2lbs) will be somewhat active so try a run and gun approach, using fast baits (like crank baits) to find the feeding fish.
Early morning will probably be best.

Most of the males are protecting nests with fry in them right now. Depends on water temp tho. Quennell lake will probably be done the spawn as will Beaver. But Shawnigan and Elk are on the tail end. Expect any other larger fish to be in post spawn. Smaller fish (below 2lbs) will be somewhat active so try a run and gun approach, using fast baits (like crank baits) to find the feeding fish.
Early morning will probably be best.

Yo Mama and myself have been out twice in the last week in our tubes after the bass on the fly. The first lake was a smaller one, Mama took me to school landing about 5 quality fish. We were both surprised on the average size with a couple over the 20 inch mark.

Last night we were out again, this time to a different lake. We managed close to 20 smallies in a few hours with the biggest being 23 inches:6 pounds, all on the fly.

TT OUT

Yo Mama and myself have been out twice in the last week in our tubes after the bass on the fly. The first lake was a smaller one, Mama took me to school landing about 5 quality fish. We were both surprised on the average size with a couple over the 20 inch mark.

Last night we were out again, this time to a different lake. We managed close to 20 smallies in a few hours with the biggest being 23 inches:6 pounds, all on the fly.

TT OUT

Holy crap! Awesome fishing. On the fly must be great.
And no telling on the lake eh? Sounds like Beaver,Elk or Prospect tho.

I plan on trying prospect this long weekend, and if the weather is sunny and around 20 degrees like they are predicting, when would be the best time to go? i plan on working the docks, rock walls, logs etc.. not sure if morning afternnon or evening makes a difference or not, also anyone been out this week? any tips,would be great

Thanks
RVN

I'm taking my uncle to hit Shawnigan friday morning. I'm going to start off by hitting rocky flats for feeding fish, move to drop offs and then run around to deeper docks (thinking they'd go to shadow areas for the noon time).
But I'm not fishing flies, using grubs, cranks and tubes.

Hammered the bass today. Shawnigan lake was 63-65 degrees. Lotta tail walking action. Talked to another boat and they said they were having an unreal day too. Biggest was 5lbs, 9oz and my Uncle's first bass fishing trip saw him getting a 5lber!!
Awesome day. They were hitting black/silver flake grubs bounced along bottom (am sure some were nesting fish). Some hit tubes on the drop offs. No crankbait action tho. They were everywhere. Shallow, deep under docks, around rocky drop offs.
We fished 9am to about 3pm. The bite was best in the morning.
Hope you guys have an eventful weekend.

Wow, sounds like a great day, i plan on heading out to prospect lake in a few hours, hopefully the sun breaks out.

was out at prospect yesterday, managed to catch 4 bass around 4 in the afternoon, the biggest being atleast 3 pounds. all 4 were caught just to the left of the boat launch, underneath the overhanging tree, and all caught on Yum Dingers

A buddy And I caught 34 on Saturday between 6:45 and 10 in the am.

I guess you could say they were biting. It's not uncommon to have days like that over the summer months. Four big ones over 19 inches.

what were u using? if u wish to share, all i had was the dingers but im looking to try other things.

I only used plastics on Saturday and for me smaller is better with smallest splitshot that still gets a cast out there because it stays in the zone longer. I didn't even get to my hotspots on the lake either. Just a good day.

Yo Mamma and I were out the other night in our tubes with the intention of going after some smallies. While enroute to our bass spots we spoke to another angler who said he had been doing well on trout action. We decided to hang out in the area and try our luck. It payed of and I managed to land 12 fish to 14 inches and Mama managed 10 fish to 14 inches all in about 2 hours.

TT out

caught 8 bass in about 1 hours work at prospect, i had bites on basically every cast, but i was missing alot of them, i would get a strong tug, i would tug back to set the hook, and it would be gone after a 5 second battle, i found my rod was fairly weak at the butt section which made it hard to really set the hook hard, any advice on how to set the hooks better? i was fishing worms rigged texas style...if that helps

Coulda been little guys that weren't even near the hook? They just let go after 5 seconds?

Anyone fished Quennell lake in Cedar or know anyone who has? Apparently the bite there is terrible lately. May be awhile before I get there to prove it. Was just curious.

Fished there a couple of times in the past couple of weeks. The bite hasn't been terrible. It hasn't been as good as in the past. Not much doing with the tube jigs, just big ugly noisey crankbaits and spinner baits. It's just like fishing in pea soup.

I went to Prospect Lake the other day this week and pulled in a nice bass about 2 or 2 half pound and released it.

Back