Bamfield...first timer - any help appreciated

F

Fjordshark

Heading up to Bamfield around 8/10 for 5 days...Have done some research on areas to fish (Kirby, Edward, Beale etc) and what to run behind the "campion" (anchovies in green teaser heads and cop cars)...anything major missing??
In addition, any recommendation on where one would start for the afternoon fisheries and where to head first thing in the morning for a newbie?
I'm also thinking of hitting the 5:15 am ferry out of Tswassen to Schwartz and then drive to China to launch...will that most likely be early enough to be able to drive out to Bamfield without too much wind? (How long of a run?)
Thx

The inlet usually gets choppy in the afternoon, If you get down there before lunch time it's usually very smooth.

I haven't been to Bamfield for a few years but from what I remember the morning bite was always the best. Make sure you are out at first lite and wait for the bite.

Bamfield is about 30 miles from China Creek. The wind usually starts to pick up around 11 am. However, it is still navigable once the wind picks up. You just won't be going very fast until you get past Nahmint Bay.

go tswassen to duke point. we catch that ferry and we are fishing bamfield buy 11:30 we launch at port alberni and go that way instead of china creek I have found chovies are the best.as for the run it takes 1.20. I don't know if they still have them at kingfisher fuel dock in bamfield but the had a map with all the hot spots (pill the wall kirby swale ie) and its laminated i've got one from ten years ago

If its your first time heading out the canal keep your eyes peeled for logs and deadheads. Its better than it has been in the past but there are still a few nasties to watch out for. Nothing ruins a trip faster.

You may want to try the Baitrix fake anchovies in glow green. We had good success last time out with that.

SeaWolf was using them at 7 mile with pretty good success as well. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Thanks again for the advice...do you run the fake anchovies in teaser heads or as plugs?

gunna X2 the Twassen to Duke point. Think the first is 5:45 and way less driving

quote:Originally posted by chromechaser

You may want to try the Baitrix fake anchovies in glow green. We had good success last time out with that.

I just bought some "Berkley" power bait anchovies & herring that look real. Just like the frozen ones! I will be trying them next week!

Charlie,
Heard lots of good things on those fake baits. Let us know how you do with them Anyone else have any luck with these.?
BG

Hi BentGaff,
i saw you will be up there on the 10th...i'm staying at the Imperial eagle lodge from the 9th...give me a holler (Fjordshark) on the VHF if you want to swap some stories...

I've had really good luck with the Rhys Davis army truck and those white rainbow anchovy heads.We always fish the wall in the evenings.Dan

Run the fake baits in teaser heads just like the real thing. Good luck and let us know how you do.

quote:Originally posted by chromechaser

Run the fake baits in teaser heads just like the real thing. Good luck and let us know how you do.

That is what I am planning... Taking them right out of the package and using them... and if still looking good, soaking them in smelly jelly and using them again.

I am leaving on the 28th... starting to fish on the 29th and will let you guys know the results! I will be using the berkley's on one pole and the frozen on the other. Be interesting which catches the most fish!

Back