Bamfield: Driving to and camping

Dave S

Hey all, I was wondering about the best way to drive to Bamfield from Victoria? Also, how is the camping at Pacheena? Looking to head out there for some summer south swell surf and good west coast camping. Never been here before, so if you have any info, I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Dave

I usually go via Port Alberni and I live in Victoria, it's more KM's but faster due to road condtions. Mostly the road from Cowichan lake to Franklin River is CRAP. Although there have been some reports this year that is has actually been graded. Others with more recent trips over that road than me will chime in.

Pachena Campground is nice.

How's this?

IMPORTANT TIPS:Regardless of your start point, you will eventually be driving on a semi-public, logging road. The road between Port Alberni and Bamfield is usally well maintained and well travelled, however, it is important for you to know the following:
SLOW DOWN when driving onto and off bridges (all one lane). There are often large potholes on either end of bridges and hitting them at speed can pop your tires. Also, your vehicle will tend to slide as you mount the bridge surface if you are going too fast.
As a general rule, if you are in doubt about which way to go, follow the power lines and they will lead you to Bamfield. There is one important exception, and the directional sign is often down or bent at this location making it easy to go the wrong way. This occurs between KM 34 and KM 35. When you get to the intersection, DO NOT turn left. Go straight, up a slight hill, onto a smaller road that does not have power lines. The power lines rejoin this road in a very short distance.
You have gone the wrong way if the kilometer signs change from red to blue, if the kilometer numbers go out of sequence, if you loose the power lines or if you hit pavement before reaching the Pacific Rim National Park (~km 75). If any of these things happen, turn back and try again.

There is cell phone reception in Port Alberni and in Bamfield, but there is no cell phone reception in between.
Check your spare tire before you leave and make sure you know how to change a tire before driving this road.
The road is narrow and winding which reduces visibility. It is recommended that you drive with your headlights on and reduce speeds accordingly. Pull over whenever possible to let others pass you.

You will likely encounter logging trucks on the road as current logging activity is 7 days per week. They have the right of way, so please be considerate and yield to them. The truck drivers will generally pull over to let you pass once they are in an area where it is safe to do so.
There are no gas stations en route so ensure that your gas tank is filled before you embark on the logging road. It is always a good idea to carry some bottled water and snacks with you.

Ensure that your fluids are topped up and the spare tire is in good working order.

Directions courtesy of:
http://fifthelementcharters.com/

Back