Bamfeild updates?

J

jig55

I havent herd to much action for bamfeild. anything happening?

Is no one fishing in bamfield or off shore. heading up there in one week and any info would be great.

Check out the latest reports over at fishtactics.com for Barkley Sound and Ucluelet as they seem to be a pretty good overview.

Sounds like the Sound is still pretty hit and miss with the best and most reliable action coming offshore. Of course, that could change any minute. However, it would appear that many of the fish are going directly from offshore to Alberni Inlet and not spending much time in Barkley Sound.

Just got back from Bamfeild after four days of hard fishing.Went up with four other boats and covered a lot of ground.Seven mile seemed to produce the most consistent action ,fish mostly in the 20s.If you fished Beal and Whittlestone it was hit and miss and the seals were a problem.Kirby was spotty ,but had some bigger fish 34lb and the wall wasn't too bad ,couple 28s and mid 20s.Anchovy with clear green or green/chrome head at 50-60 feet was working.Good Luck

I, too, spent four days in the Bamfield area, covering Pill Point, Vernon, Swale Rock, Gibraltar, Diplock, Fleming, Kirby, Whittlestone, Cape Beale and the 7 & 12 mile banks. Came back home with a 33 lb white spring, two 23 lb, and a 12 lb; caught all of them on hootchies (army truck and purple) and between 35 and 60 ft. Tried up to 120 ft with no luck.

Action seemed to take place early in the morning, then it became dead for most of the rest of the day. Yesterday, I had four springs on in 20 minutes between 06:50 and 07:10 AM (lost two, released one), then not one strike until noon, when I called in the day.

The 12-mile bank was packed with pinks. Got no coho and no hali, but brought in a couple of nice yelloweyes 12 & 8 lbs.

For the comments I could hear on channel 6 VHF, some people were finding and catching fish, but must were just catching the odd one or nothing.

Hopefully, it will get better during the next few weeks.

By the way, watch for whales. I was drifting on Saturday off Swiss Boy at the Bull Rock while jigging for bottomfish, and a huge humpback showed up from nowhere. After swimming around the reef, the humpback surfaced nearby (too nearby for my liking) and decided to take another dive at the time it was steering head-on collision towards my boat. I started the engine and move quickly away, just in case it had decided to scratch its back against my boat to remove its barnacles.[:0]

Launched in town Friday afternoon,ran up the inlet to Asits,got there around 7:30,dropped a line in and hooked a 22lb er.Fished to about 9:00.
Ran up to Kirby at first light,nothin happening,lots of weed in the water,no bait around,only a couple caught amongst the 25-30 boats.
Did get treated to an amzing show by a couple of Humpbacks,they breached several times.
Ran over nad fueled up and down to Pill mid morning,got a teener and mid 20.Early aft ran down the canal it was unusually flat and stopped at Lone Tree and hooked into a 20.
Great day & 1/2.
All fish were caught on a purple haze flasher and anchovy @ 45 feet.Tried lots of other stuff and depths

Just back from a couple of day's. Beale to the wall has been great on the early to mid day tide. Fish eight hours on the charter yesterday at Aguilar to Brady's. Hooked nine with 4 beauty's to the boat. Lost one pushin 40 right in front of Tyee's dock. Oh well. Look for it to go off with the recent rains. One concern is where are these 5 yr. olds that there is so much talk of. Alot of four year olds and they are blasting. Fish from 26 mile yesterday were sporting river colours already.

quote:Originally posted by Dirtdog67

Just back from a couple of day's. Beale to the wall has been great on the early to mid day tide. Fish eight hours on the charter yesterday at Aguilar to Brady's. Hooked nine with 4 beauty's to the boat. Lost one pushin 40 right in front of Tyee's dock. Oh well. Look for it to go off with the recent rains. One concern is where are these 5 yr. olds that there is so much talk of. Alot of four year olds and they are blasting. Fish from 26 mile yesterday were sporting river colours already.

What were the guides using?

Kelly,

I would assume fish colouring up early cuz the fish is going up to the river right away instead of stopping and feeding. It's my theory.

I was up fishing out of poetts nook this past weekend. There are fish around, and we caught a few, but I thought the fishing would have been a lot better considering the time of year. Anyone else agree. We wanted to try and get out for some halibut but was wondering if 7 mile has been productive at all? Anyway anyone else have some reports, or some better advice on where to fish? Thanks a ton

I was out Sat and Sunday. Caught lots of big springs between Beale and Uceky. Was south of Cree about 2 miles and out about 2. biggest 44lbs the rest were in the 30s. Cuaght a 22lb coho for release. Chit what a beauty. Sucks to have to toss that one back but felt good about it after. Nice breader buck foresure!!!!!!!:)

I was out Sat and Sunday. Caught lots of big springs between Beale and Uceky. Was south of Cree about 2 miles and out about 2. biggest 44lbs the rest were in the 30s. Cuaght a 22lb coho for release. Chit what a beauty. Sucks to have to toss that one back but felt good about it after. Nice breader buck foresure!!!!!!!:)

Poacher...sounds like you did great!!! We were just there, and did not do as good as you . :( Any tips on future trips that may help us. Type of bait/lures , leader lenght, depth.Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We plan on heading out again next year. Sounds like Cree was pretty good, I heard one of the local guides went there quite often..and did well ....
Thanks...
BG

Poacher...sounds like you did great!!! We were just there, and did not do as good as you . :( Any tips on future trips that may help us. Type of bait/lures , leader lenght, depth.Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We plan on heading out again next year. Sounds like Cree was pretty good, I heard one of the local guides went there quite often..and did well ....
Thanks...
BG

Used my fave. purple haze flasher 6in green and white coyote 42in leader @ 90ft. Gave one to a fellow out there who was fishing the wall without success, First bite the next day he had a 30 plus and lost it at the boat. He was staying another day and I haven't heard how he did.

Used my fave. purple haze flasher 6in green and white coyote 42in leader @ 90ft. Gave one to a fellow out there who was fishing the wall without success, First bite the next day he had a 30 plus and lost it at the boat. He was staying another day and I haven't heard how he did.

Back