Bait Speed

D

doger5

What speed do you troll bait at in a teaser ?
Anchovies / Herring and Cutpluging Herring no teaser.
2 / 2.5 / 3 mph ?[B)]

quote:Originally posted by doger5

What speed do you troll bait at in a teaser ?
Anchovies / Herring and Cutpluging Herring no teaser.
2 / 2.5 / 3 mph ?[B)]

Ah, interesting question. Depends on the size of the bait I'm fishing and the way I rig it. You can rig it so that it rolls slower at 3 mph than it does at 2 mph. Each circumstance is different and each fishing situation is different. For example, in the Charlottes, cut pluggers can whiz along at pretty good speeds and whack springs all day. In a terminal fishery, on some runs, you do much better crawling along with a roll that pauses on every roll and only then will you hit them. Basically, you want to trigger the "bite response" from the fish. Get the right action and in many cases, one roll may hit all.

Good luck! :)

Ive never trolled herring or cutplug or strip, but for anchovies I dont even look at my speed, Im only concerned with how my roll looks in the water. I often rig up an extra rod with a teaser/chovie and just watch it beside the boat to give me a rough idea what my 2 other rods rolls are looking like without having to pull them up.

Ive found I have the best luck trolling with the tide in most cases, so i try to set up to do that as much as possible, but whenever i switch directions, i always pull one line to check my roll and adjust my speed until its just right.

Good luck!

Yak

Back