Bait Buying Options between Nanaimo and Gold River

JohnDavid

Hi all,

I'm heading from the interior to Nootka in a couple weeks, and will need to pick up some bait (anchovies) between Nanaimo ferry and Gold River.

What are some options that have the best bait, and easiest access from the highway?

Thanks!

Give River Sportsman a call in CR to make sure they have lots of stock. They are located on the road that takes you into Gold River...well just before you start on it.

Nanaimo options,
Harbour chandler
Gone fishin

Pacific net and twine on the Alberni highway

Campbell River options,
Tyee marine
River sportsman

easiest access from the highway towing a boat is P & T in Parksville. Forget about Cabelas, useless.

I was on my way to Ukee from the interior on Tuesday night, stopped at Wholesale Sports, but they were closed. Went to Walmart for groceries and maybe something stinky from the frozen fish section. It was now after 8:00pm. I got out of my truck and saw the Cabelas was still open across the street. They have lots of bass lures and not much salmon stuff compared to the stores mentioned above, but they did have anchovies and herring. I got a good one on a herring the next morning after drawing a blank with hootchies and spoons. So they are an option if travelling in the evening.

The Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds is open daily from 6am to 8pm and has a ton of bait. They even have pre-brined bait with either ProCure Complete or Firebrine. If you call on your way, they will actually brine whatever size Chovy or herring with whatever color/type of brine you want. (778)428-2006. It's right on your way too... 9082 Clarkson Ave, Black Creek. Tons of other gear there too. Oh and I believe all brine is on sale there this week...

Tight lines!

Or support a SFBC member ,
give Derby ( Deryk ) a poke , always has great bait , great prices ,
enroute on your trip im thinkin , ,
usually can meet ya near the hwy !! nanoose area....

id be interested in splitting a case with you ?
August fishery just around the corner ,

felix
Is that Deryk from Active Tackle???

gold river also has bait in there local grocery store. they are sometimes sold out of anchovies though....
can usually get bait at critter cove also I believe.

Back