Bacon first timer - anyone have a good brine calculator?

wishiniwasfishin1

You guys are the pros so thought I would ask here. The Information I see online seems off. The salt I get at 2.25% for sea salt and .25 for the Prague #1 for a total of 2.5% salts.

The sugar is mostly 1% that I am seeing. Is that correct? 2.5 x sugar to salt?

My belly is 2.3 kg and I hope to get it curing today so I can smoke next Sunday. Any help appreciated!

Also - do I rub on maple syrup or honey before I rub in the cure? Seems like the maple / honey would make the cure clump up if I did that.

dry brine recipe - Prague #1, sea salt and dark brown sugar.
Thanks and Happy Easter!

Last edited:
You guys are the pros so thought I would ask here. The Information I see online seems off. The salt I get at 2.25% for sea salt and .25 for the Prague #1 for a total of 2.5% salts.

The sugar is mostly 1% that I am seeing. Is that correct? 2.5 x sugar to salt?

My belly is 2.3 kg and I hope to get it curing today so I can smoke next Sunday. Any help appreciated!

Also - do I rub on maple syrup or honey before I rub in the cure? Seems like the maple / honey would make the cure clump up if I did that.

dry brine recipe - Prague #1, sea salt and dark brown sugar.
Thanks and Happy Easter!
I've made bacon so many times, here is what I can offer to you....

For every 5 lbs of pork belly I use a tsp of Prague Powder as well as 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. I also slather it with liquid honey before the dry brine is added. after 5 to 12 days I take it out and air dry it for about a day in the fridge. Then smoke it not cook it. Make sure your temp is 150 F or less. Write everything you do down so you can adjust for the next batch.

I hope this helps, check out ilovemeat.com, it's quite helpful.IMG_2476.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made bacon so many times, here is what I can offer to you....

For every 5 lbs of pork belly I use a tsp of Prague Powder as well as 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. I also slather it with liquid honey before the dry brine is added. after 5 to 12 days I take it out and air dry it for about a day in the fridge. Then smoke it not cook it. Make sure your temp is 150 F or less. Write everything you do down so you can adjust for the next batch.

I hope this helps, check out ilovemeat.com, it's quite helpful.View attachment 78245
Ok thanks. I ended up doing something pretty close. Do you leave the fat cap on during cure? Do you remove it? I left it on and not sure what to do there…

Yours looks delicious by the way!

Not sure if you’ve seen this site or not but it’s my go to for everything smoked and cured. He’s gives some pretty good explanations on more than just ribs as the name implies.

I use this equilibrium calculator based on the weight and cure for 10 days either vacuum sealed or in a ziploc. I generally do 1.8% salt and it’s always great, never too salty.

I use this equilibrium calculator based on the weight and cure for 10 days either vacuum sealed or in a ziploc. I generally do 1.8% salt and it’s always great, never too salty.
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try next batch

Thanks, that’s a handy calc. What do you use for desired sugar %?
And do you just leave the fet cap? Remove after smoking?
Cheers

Ok thanks. I ended up doing something pretty close. Do you leave the fat cap on during cure? Do you remove it? I left it on and not sure what to do there…

Yours looks delicious by the way!
I leave the fat on as it absorbs the smoke flavour, I just get the butcher to take the skin off but leave the fat. But I'm sure it would dry out a bit more with the fat removed.

FAT stays on skin off cmon bacon is fat the best part!!!! LOL
I use a 2 to 1 ratio brown sugar to salt As I hate salty bacon if you want it saltier you can add later , you cant take salt out of the product. I make about 100 plus sides a year from the local farmers and they keep coming back
1650396127013.png

FAT stays on skin off cmon bacon is fat the best part!!!! LOL
I use a 2 to 1 ratio brown sugar to salt As I hate salty bacon if you want it saltier you can add later , you cant take salt out of the product. I make about 100 plus sides a year from the local farmers and they keep coming back
View attachment 78276
Ok good call. No diet bacon for me. Looks amazing!

It's way easier to slice if it's really cold/almost frozen. But if you need to try some fresh out of the smoker I understand

Back