B.C. oysters now linked to dozens of norovirus cases in several U.S. states

And remember, the oysters they are raising are not native to BC.
By doing this they have basically wiped out the native stock.
One might ask why these native oysters are not rated as endangered and listed with SARA?

Where are the Greens on this? Where is the Province on his?

Right, it is all about money!

Move it to land already!!!

And remember, the oysters they are raising are not native to BC.
By doing this they have basically wiped out the native stock.
One might ask why these native oysters are not rated as endangered and listed with SARA?

Where are the Greens on this? Where is the Province on his?

Right, it is all about money!

X2 for manila clams , but thats not an issue ...

Last edited:
Retailers should not serve raw oysters harvested from the following harvest locations within British Columbia, BC 14-8 and BC 14-15, with harvest starting as early as January 31, 2022, which will be printed on product tags," the agency said. "Oysters can cause illness if eaten raw, particularly in people with compromised immune systems. Food contaminated with norovirus may look, smell, and taste normal."

And not the just the norovirus to be aware of. There are other enteric viruses in BC oysters as well. Speaking from personal experience, you do NOT want to experience Vibrio parahaemolyticus. I would describe it as Montezuma's Revenge on steroids. And the oysters I ate were from Hornby Island gathered in April. Its been about 10 years since I have eaten raw oysters. Lesson learned.

And not the just the norovirus to be aware of. There are other enteric viruses in BC oysters as well. Speaking from personal experience, you do NOT want to experience Vibrio parahaemolyticus. I would describe it as Montezuma's Revenge on steroids. And the oysters I ate were from Hornby Island gathered in April. Its been about 10 years since I have eaten raw oysters. Lesson learned.
Ah yes the flying squiters

I love raw oysters and have been lucky so far. I assume once I have one of these It will be hard to eat again. So, will keep rolling the dice til then.

A buddy who is very well connected with the CFIA side of inspecting the harvester to processor to retail side of the supply chain indicated the weak link is restaurant/retail end is the issue. Pick your restaurant carefully and NEVER eat a raw oyster that isn’t really cold to the touch! Having experienced a hospital visit as a result of severe dehydration from Vibrio I consider that sage advice.

The ones I harvest locally are always either cooked or smoked and then canned by me. Home smoked and canned oysters are amazing if you haven’t tried that yet.

CP

Back