Auto PFDs

I don’t know about @Tinny ’s boat, but I have almost fallen in farting too aggressively in mine. Not hard to do when you have 8” of freeboard and walking around the console puts you at the same level as the gunwales, and about 1’ away from them.
I've never felt even close to falling out of mine.

So what happened? As in, what were you doing at the time that caused the close call?
Pretty stupid thing actually. I had new down riggers and hadn't yet got around to installing the weight retrieving line. It was a flat calm day, but I had to lean out a little bit every once in a while to retrieve and reset the riggers. I was always focused on having three points of contacts, but it was wet and my foot slipped. Lost my balance and almost went in. Only thing that saved me was my left hand instinctively swung for the downrigger and luckily I was able to grab onto the boom. Being left handed helped in this situation. Would have been a really stupid way to leave this world. I actually avoid thinking about it and not something I shared with my family, but this thread about life jackets and being out there solo in the winter prompted me to share. Not taking precautions and little mistakes can go really bad quickly.

I bought an auto pfd 5 years ago and wear it every single time I'm on the boat. It fits over whatever I'm wearing (regardless of season), and I don't feel goofy or uncomfortable. The main reason I wear it is because I insist on my son wearing a lifejacket and I don't want to be a hypocrite. You teach by what you do.

I just bought my in-laws a set of mustang auto pfds for Christmas from Poco Marine - $150 each, if I remember correctly.

Pretty stupid thing actually. I had new down riggers and hadn't yet got around to installing the weight retrieving line. It was a flat calm day, but I had to lean out a little bit every once in a while to retrieve and reset the riggers. I was always focused on having three points of contacts, but it was wet and my foot slipped. Lost my balance and almost went in. Only thing that saved me was my left hand instinctively swung for the downrigger and luckily I was able to grab onto the boom. Being left handed helped in this situation. Would have been a really stupid way to leave this world. I actually avoid thinking about it and not something I shared with my family, but this thread about life jackets and being out there solo in the winter prompted me to share. Not taking precautions and little mistakes can go really bad quickly.
I think about that same situation every time I'm out alone and using downriggers. Now rather than reach way out to grab the clip from the rigger, I swing the boom around to the boat first. It takes a few extra moments, but then I'm not leaning overboard so much.

I think about that same situation every time I'm out alone and using downriggers. Now rather than reach way out to grab the clip from the rigger, I swing the boom around to the boat first. It takes a few extra moments, but then I'm not leaning overboard so much.
The old timers on here taught me a trick using the rod tip to scoop the clip out of the water. Then you lift the rod up which allows the clip to slide right down to you. It's fun to practice and get good at. Looks pro.

The old timers on here taught me a trick using the rod tip to scoop the clip out of the water. Then you lift the rod up which allows the clip to slide right down to you. It's fun to practice and get good at. Looks pro.

Ah, that is the only way I have ever done, dunk rod tip under a few eyes deep, roll rod so drapped held by an eye and flip to my free hand, clip and rod back down.

It does not matter what PFD you are wearing, if you fall in and can't get back into the boat within a few minutes, you are dead. The PFD just makes it easy to find the body so insurance will pay out. Stay dry. 😉😉

The sad kayaker story in Victoria last few days finally provoked me to order a PLB.

Went with this one:

It folds right into the auto inflating PFD and automatically activates once PFD is inflated. A bit of a procedure to nest it inside the PFD correctly, but no big deal:

Not cheap, came out to C$805 after tax and shipping. Arrives tomorrow so looking forward to installing it.

Sends AIS signal to local boats in the area. Transmits a satellite signal like an EPIRB, has a visible strobe light, and an infra-red strobe light for the Coast Guard’s FLIR camera to pick up.

Last edited:
I personally run a Mustang Elite 28 and have found that to be the most comfortable. It is not cheap. As a guide I have to wear it for 8-12hrs a day for 75-100 days a season. This is the only one I don't notice is on, sits higher in the front so doesn't catch on things and the back is wide so spreads the comfort around and not a webbing rubbing on you neck.

The sad kayaker story in Victoria last few days finally provoked me to order a PLB.

Went with this one:

It folds right into the auto inflating PFD and automatically activates once PFD is inflated. A bit of a procedure to nest it inside the PFD correctly, but no big deal:

Not cheap, came out to C$805 after tax and shipping. Arrives tomorrow so looking forward to installing it.

Sends AIS signal to local boats in the area. Transmits a satellite signal like an EPIRB, has a visible strobe light, and an infra-red strobe light for the Coast Guard’s FLIR camera to pick up.
3 dead kayakers within the past couple weeks...very sad. In January, there was the story up at Port Hardy where the fishing boat was caught in bad weather, got windows blown out from waves, boat sank...and the whole crew was rescued. Amazingly they survived 45min in the water. I'd imagine they would've been found much faster if they had something like the unit you shared Sailfish25.

I've been carrying a portable 6W radio on my person while on the water (kayak, paddle board or fishing boat), which has the DSC automated distress call feature. Not as good as the PLB, but better than nothing?

3 dead kayakers within the past couple weeks...very sad. In January, there was the story up at Port Hardy where the fishing boat was caught in bad weather, got windows blown out from waves, boat sank...and the whole crew was rescued. Amazingly they survived 45min in the water. I'd imagine they would've been found much faster if they had something like the unit you shared Sailfish25.

I've been carrying a portable 6W radio on my person while on the water (kayak, paddle board or fishing boat), which has the DSC automated distress call feature. Not as good as the PLB, but better than nothing?
The utility of a handheld VHF depends where you are, how far away the nearest receiver is. They have a short range, could be as short as 3-4km when you're in the water, depending on wave height, obstructions like islands etc. Having a VHF is WAY better than not having one, but you may be able to see a boat but not reach them with a 6w VHF.

It does not matter what PFD you are wearing, if you fall in and can't get back into the boat within a few minutes, you are dead. The PFD just makes it easy to find the body so insurance will pay out. Stay dry. 😉😉
Just curious why you say minutes and you are dead? In cold water environments such as West coast and North Sea you have approx. 40-50 minutes before hypothermia sets in. I have had to take many cold water survival courses and they actually did studies with individuals monitoring internal body temp and overall well being. If you do not have a life jacket on you usually get cold water shock which tenses up your muscles and causes you to gasp for air which in turn you inhale water, that is the usual cause of death drowning.

Back