Arctic Char.

GunnarOlafs

Hello you guys.

I am new here and registering for I am moving to BC and need pointers on rivers and spots to go fish.

Always prepare my small trout the same way while fishing in my small streams, this is how.

What you need:
Coal, aluminium foil, salt,(coarse) black pepper, creeping thyme(Thymus praecox), berry flowers, leafs, berries(Vaccinium myrtilloides or similar, used for sweetness), butter, leaves from "Betula pubescens". Preboiled potatoes.

But like with all ingredients lists, do not take it too literally, use what is near and has the desired taste.

Now make the grill-pit, just a hole in the sand will do(lined with flat rocks) Set the coals and find a suitable one to cover the pit as well (if raining).

Split potatoes in half and dig out a small portion in the middle.
Put butter, salt and Thyme flowers in there.
Close potatoes and wrap in foil.

Throw potatoes in pit.

Now start cleaning the fish.
After gutting the char(or trout), rub salt and leaves onto the roe.
Butter the foil and lay the fish in it.
On the inside of the fish place butter, berries, pepper, leaves and as much salt as could fit in the mouth of the fish(good proportion).

Then wrap fish tightly in foil and place in pit. (And cover pit if you found a good slate)
Now start cleaning your tackle box, turn the fish, set a table and fill a water bottle up.
After those things are done both your potates and fish are ready for enjoying.

This simple way of preparing has never failed, always made me happy and surprised people traveling with me.

Bon apetit. :)

Gunnar

Back