Anchoring on the lower Fraser

JAC

Hey Guys,

I have a big ******* fraser river anchor that is about 45lbs and it works great. I bought a new boat and I don't have a mount for this beast of a anchor and I only fish the lower fraser. Do some people use another type of anchor in the lower river or are most people using a rocking chair columbia river style anchor. I would like to buy a good anchor that I can leave on my pulpit and use it for lakes,lower fraser and the ocean. Any ideas?

Thanks
JAC

My buddy has a big bell shaped anchor with very small tines on it. If it snags up under a log the little tines can be bent back into shape.

Sent from my HTC

I'd say 99% of the guys out on the Fraser, both guide and private, use the 'rocking chair' style anchor. Very effective in the sandy bottoms and light gravel.

I fish between maple ridge and chilliwack. It's all I use and see being used.

Go with what works, no need to re-invent the wheel on this one.

I have got one of them I just was wondering if guys use danforth or other plow type anchors on the lower river. Worst case I would build a smaller rocking chair anchor maybe out of Stainless and then leave it on my boat and use it in the ocean also!!!

danforths work fine in the lower anywhere from maple ridge down. Just make sure you rig it "break away" style lots of old cable and logs around

True enough, they wont hold you in freshet but if its the correct size it will hold you most of the time.

Ok, I'm hoping to revive this old thread:
I just moved to BC a year ago, and travelling for work kept me off the water last summer and fall.
But now I'm back, and I have a boat. A 16' Lund SSV with a 30 HP etec.
I plan to fish below Mission, and I'm not brave enough to tackle crazy currents.
Will a 15 lb River Anchor with 15' 5/16 chain be strong enough to hold me in the river while Sturgeon fishing?
Or do I need a 25 lb.
Thanks.

go with the bigger... when tides going out in certain areas it moves pretty quick still in the lower

Back